Steel vs aluminum

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Looking into getting something similar to the procomp 69. Just need less back spacing because of some rubbing issues. I'm currently on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers. My question is what does everyone prefer steel or aluminum? And why? I was leaning towards steel because it bends, instead of cracks. But the aluminum does look nicer. Pic for reference.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474729854.021511.jpg

Last edited:

aldaman

I prefer aluminum for the looks and is lighter than steel. Although they may crack, it's not as expensive as a bead lock that I can always buy a replacement when needed...:beer:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Aluminium wheels only crack if they're cheap junk. quality wheels bend and will take a much bigger hit without bending than a steel wheel

swampdog

Looking into getting something similar to the procomp 69. Just need less back spacing because of some rubbing issues. I'm currently on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers. My question is what does everyone prefer steel or aluminum? And why? I was leaning towards steel because it bends, instead of cracks. But the aluminum does look nicer. Pic for reference.

Thanks in advance for any input.

View attachment 223876

The alloy 7069's were my first set of wheels and I beat the shit out of them and they never cracked. A great wheel for the price (you should be paying around $126/wheel for the alloy ones). The best part was when the paint scraped off from rock rash I didn't have to worry about rust. Where are you located? I will give you mine if you are close.

Edit - just saw you are in Reno...never mind.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, looks like I will probably go with the aluminum. I guess even if I did destroy one, they are cheap enough that replacing one won't kill me.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
maybe someone can help me figure something out... So I'm told factory wheels have 6.25" of back spacing, and I am running 1.5" spacers currently. so that puts my back spacing at 4.75". I rub my wheel on my tie rod when turned tight and flexed. The ProComp 7069 wheels are a -6 offset, which i believe makes them a 4.75" backspace as well. :thinking: So how hard is it on my bearings, etc. if i were to run those wheels with my 1.5" spacers making the backspacing 3.25"? or should i drop the idea of those wheels all together and find a different option? :banghead:

swampdog

maybe someone can help me figure something out... So I'm told factory wheels have 6.25" of back spacing, and I am running 1.5" spacers currently. so that puts my back spacing at 4.75". I rub my wheel on my tie rod when turned tight and flexed. The ProComp 7069 wheels are a -6 offset, which i believe makes them a 4.75" backspace as well. :thinking: So how hard is it on my bearings, etc. if i were to run those wheels with my 1.5" spacers making the backspacing 3.25"? or should i drop the idea of those wheels all together and find a different option? :banghead:

Yes, it will be harder than the stock setup on ball joints and unit bearings, but what size tire are you running? And are we talking about a make difference, nothing I would stress. Slabs and method 105 beadlocks have 3.5" BS so I don't thing 1/4" is really going to hurt you. If you like the wheels and it's what's in your budget, pull the trigger and don't look back.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Yes, it will be harder than the stock setup on ball joints and unit bearings, but what size tire are you running? And are we talking about a make difference, nothing I would stress. Slabs and method 105 beadlocks have 3.5" BS so I don't thing 1/4" is really going to hurt you. If you like the wheels and it's what's in your budget, pull the trigger and don't look back.

thanks swampdog. I am running 315s but will be stepping up to a true 35 when they wear out.not planning any bigger till I get rid of the Week link D30. not for a few year though. I agree on 1/4" not making a big difference. but most that are running slabs are not still on D30s. Do you think the 30 can handle the extra stress? I know I'm probably way overthinking things, and i am sorry for the repetitive questions.

aldaman

Are you set on getting that specific wheel? If not there's a similar style from Level 8 tracker that may be a better option for you. It's 8.5" wide with a 4.5" backspacing...

image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.gif

groovebus

I just switched out my sport allow rims and 32" BFG Mud terrains. For these Pro Comp 98 Steel 16x8, with BFJ All terrain TA KO2s 295x75x16.

Attachments

• 20161005_165828.jpg
    20161005_165828.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 130

SPOOOBY

thanks swampdog. I am running 315s but will be stepping up to a true 35 when they wear out.not planning any bigger till I get rid of the Week link D30. not for a few year though. I agree on 1/4" not making a big difference. but most that are running slabs are not still on D30s. Do you think the 30 can handle the extra stress? I know I'm probably way overthinking things, and i am sorry for the repetitive questions.

If you want a true 35 buy a 37

If you're not living your dead already!

Top Bottom