too many options, not enough time...

joshuaj21

I posted this in my build thread, but figured I'd post here to put it out there as well... I attached a couple pics of the damage to this thread though, just to give an idea...

I am in a position to upgrade my rear bumper (and tire carrier), exhaust, and will likely do my front bumper while I'm at it. Last Thursday I was rear-ended on my way to work and have to say, I got lucky! The woman who hit me, not so lucky, health-wise she was fine, but her car was all sorts of jacked up. Was at a stand still waiting for a light to turn green and she wasn't paying attention (assuming she was texting and driving, but purely speculation) to traffic and barreled into me. She had to be going at least 40 mph. The front of her car wedged under my rear end, causing damage to my rear bumper, tow hook, exhaust, and I'm pretty sure the tire carrier. I haven't tried to open the tailgate yet for fear of not being able to close it. I'll let the shop deal with it, but I can see that the alignment is off from looking at it. My spare tire (still fully inflated somehow) crinkled her hood up to her windshield, hitch smashed in her front end, tail pipe took out passenger headlight, tow hook took out the drivers side head light, and (I'm assuming) the muffler gently removed her bumper from the vehicle. She was driving a little Hyundai Accent. It didn't stand a chance. LOL.

Anyway, I'm taking it to the shop today to get an initial estimate. Insurance company said do what you have to do and send them the quote. I haven't been in an accident in over 10 years, so it's hard to remember all the minute details and how I can get what I want out of this sh!t show... However, I'm also taking it to our dealership to get their estimate to compare, which I'm assuming will be more expensive. We have a very good rapport with them and they've helped me out a lot in the past with different things. There is also a 4WP right next door that they use for their aftermarket parts installs apparently. So, taking the replacement cost for stock parts, plus whatever else they find wrong, and taking the difference in cost of aftermarket parts, I'd like to keep it around $500 if I have to pay anything out of pocket for upgrades. I'm also not paying my deductible which I've consolidated into my "budget" for this. $500 max.

My muffler is leaking exhaust, so that's a no-brainer. I have been looking at different vendors and options, just keeping an open mind. From what I've found so far, the stock rear bumper is around $550 give or take. Not sure what the exhaust (figuring from cat back, because of the way it was impacted during the collision) replacement cost is, but estimating between $200-300 maybe? Same for the tire carrier, not sure what the replacement cost is for the stock one, but again, estimating at least $200. Again, I'm trying to keep a totally open mind about what I could replace them with, but looking at cost and what I'm looking for I've found these so far (and free shipping):

Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier - Body Armor 4x4 Rear High Clearance Bumper and Tire Carrier in Textured Black for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK (Q-tec: $676)

Front Bumper (might as well) - Body Armor Front Mid-Stubby Winch Bumper for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK (Q-tec: $369)

Exhaust - Gale Banks Engineering Stinger® Exhaust System for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Wrangler JK 2 Door with 3.8L, includes cat back exhaust and cold air intake together (Q-tec: $606)

Again, this is just what I've looked at so far, but am definitely open to suggestions. The shop will likely install the exhaust and rear bumper w/ tire carrier since the insurance will cover that labor (maybe not with aftermarket parts???). I would think the front bumper is bolt-on, so of course that is no issue to install in the driveway. I've looked over the past few days at different places and options, but I'm sure I've missed quite a bit. Any suggestions are more than welcome and new perspectives as well. Like I said, it's been a long time since I've had to deal with insurance companies and repair shops and I definitely don't mind doing the work myself, although its been probably 15+ years since I installed an exhaust...

Please let me know what y'all think. I would like to get parts ordered in the next week or less, so I have a bit of a time crunch once I get the initial estimate(s) today (insurance recommended shop) and Tuesday (dealership). Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Cause of Accident.jpg
    Cause of Accident.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160922_085217.jpg
    20160922_085217.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20160922_085232.jpg
    20160922_085232.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 20160922_121304.jpg
    20160922_121304.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20160922_121322.jpg
    20160922_121322.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 20160922_121333.jpg
    20160922_121333.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 20160922_121344.jpg
    20160922_121344.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 165

joshuaj21

the muffler gently removed her bumper from the vehicle.

not bumper (although when the tow truck hooked up it came off completely) from my muffler, the little fascia piece from the grill was (I think) from the muffler... who knows, pretty much irrelevant, but my mistake.

Frydaddy

About two years ago, I hit a herd of deer with my Mitsubishi Ralliart. The insurance rep came out to the shop and they hashed out what the insurance would pay for. It turns out they wouldn't pay for my bumper or hood due to "prior damage", even though the deer (plural) had almost removed the bumper completely.

If you are trying to get the shop to upgrade instead of replace, I think this is what needs to go down. Have them quote the insurance for all the repairs to stock, but tell the shop not to purchase the replacement parts yet. Most of the time they don't mind because upgrades after accidents happen regularly. They should be able to work up a quote for installing these new parts, and any other general fixes that still need done regardless. The insurance will cut you a check, usually sent straight to the shop. You should be able to get the difference towards the new parts.

joshuaj21

Dang that's crazy. I grew up outside of Green Bay, WI so I am familiar with run-ins with the whitetail up there. Those damn things are crazy! An average size 6-pt buck ripped my dad's front fender, door and side door of his van a few years ago when it ran into him while driving home from work. I couldn't believe it, until I saw the pictures. Unreal, but I know what you mean about dealing with the insurance company with something like that. They gave my dad a hard time too because it was hard to believe one deer could cause that much damage. Clowns. Anyway, I had it in one shop yesterday and was less than impressed with their quote. Taking it to the dealer Tuesday (they owe me a favor anyway) and will get dealership pricing for the parts and have them do a full inspection of everything, including the e brake which they can prove was just repaired a few weeks ago. But there is a 4wp right next door and they are having sale right now. Found an axle back exhaust for the same price as the exhaust "tip" the shop was going to replace. But still trying to find the best bumper as there are a few options for the price point of the stock replacement... would love to just get the tire carrier combo with it if I can. But haven't looked much into these before now. It would have been something to replace when needed, but now I need it! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Might want to just double check with your insurance company, but unless you have your Jeep paid off, they may not permit the use of funds to be used on aftermarket parts. It may sound odd, but I've heard this before so it's worth asking if they'll give you the cash value of stock replacements first.

joshuaj21

I've heard rumblings like that as well, but it was mainly for major components that would require alternation to systems... or something like that. No idea how true that is, but either way it's all good. The shop I went to first said if the oem parts were not readily available they would have to order aftermarket replacements. But when I asked the question about parts I was wanting to add, they could as long as it didn't require any alterations or welding, things like that apparently. Will see what the stealership says next week though. Hopefully they quote me for everything I KNOW is wrong and everything else I don't. If they do, I could probably get front bumper, rear bumper with carrier, and exhaust, but we will see. Just need to see which bumpers will work best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom