Front axle vent pulled out of tube- time for fluid change. What diff cover for rubi?

zimm

Caught the Bug
So I survived 3 days of the Vermont Overland Rally doing every red and blue class 4 road I could find. The jeep did great, but at the general store getting beer, another driver noticed a hose dangling from my Jeep. It was the axle vent fitting- pulled right out of the tube. I got it to pop back in, but I have to assume it was off while going through some wheel deep water several times. I figure it's better safe than sorry and replace the diff fluid.

1) What diff cover would you recommend that will clear a stock rubicon 44 front axle?
2) Any special additives for the axle fluid? I'm sure I can look it up in the manual, but I'm being lazy.
3) How do I keep that breather line from pulling out again?

Thanks.

MattMc

1) Are you wanting to change the diff cover? Why not just put the stock one back on? You don't even need to take it off to change the diff fluid, unless you particularly want to look at the gears.

2) I don't think any additives are needed, but I'm not 100% on that. I think you only need additive of you have a limited slip differential.

3) there is a write up on how to extend your breather tubes in the tech section. I used it to extend mine. Super easy. If you are afraid of it coming loose again, you could put a screw clamp on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I was going to upgrade the cover. Not sure if it's needed.

The diff breather metal tube actually pulled out, not the hose popping off the barb.

bthomas

Front axle vent pulled out of tube- time for fluid change. What diff cover f...

I was going to upgrade the cover. Not sure if it's needed.

The diff breather metal tube actually pulled out, not the hose popping off the barb.

You mean the metal hose barb/nipple pulled out of the diff housing?
Or did it break off clean, flush with the housing?
I've never paid enough attention to how that nipple is attached, if it presses in, and yours isn't broken, I'd see if you can gently tap it back in.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Im particular to SOLID covers. But wait for them to go on sale which happens a few times a year.

What makes of solid covers? Is the dynatrac one "solid"? I'm confused on the difference. Are you meaning cast vs something else?

You mean the metal hose barb/nipple pulled out of the diff housing?
Or did it break off clean, flush with the housing?
I've never paid enough attention to how that nipple is attached, if it presses in, and yours isn't broken, I'd see if you can gently tap it back in.

It pulled right out. It snapped back in place, I'm worried about water intrusion while I was off-roading. Maybe I can take a fluid sample to see if it's milky (water) instead of draining and refilling.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I survived 3 days of the Vermont Overland Rally doing every red and blue class 4 road I could find. The jeep did great, but at the general store getting beer, another driver noticed a hose dangling from my Jeep. It was the axle vent fitting- pulled right out of the tube. I got it to pop back in, but I have to assume it was off while going through some wheel deep water several times. I figure it's better safe than sorry and replace the diff fluid.

1) What diff cover would you recommend that will clear a stock rubicon 44 front axle?
2) Any special additives for the axle fluid? I'm sure I can look it up in the manual, but I'm being lazy.
3) How do I keep that breather line from pulling out again?

Thanks.

1. Do you have a drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket installed? If so, your track bar may hit some aftermarket diff covers.
2. Not unless you have a limited slip differential (you do not) and even at that, any synthetic fluid will have friction modifier in it.
3. Extend your hose or relocate where it attaches a bit lower.

christov11

funny happenned to me over the weekend too. noticed it while connecting my fron sway. put her back in place and will end up getting some sort of adhesive on there to make sure it doesnt budge.

thing is with mine, it was CLEAR that it didnt suck in anything up since everything was dirty BUT the part that connects. Not sure how long yours was off though...

edit: for me it was ONLY the hose that came off, not the nipple

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm going to try red Loctite.

I also read the how-to and saw the axles have drain plugs. Wow are we spoiled. I'm used to popping the covers off axles, with the associated mess. That's why I was looking at aftermarket covers. I'll grab 2 quarts of gear lube and do the 10 minute drain and fill just to be sure.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm going to try red Loctite.

I also read the how-to and saw the axles have drain plugs. Wow are we spoiled. I'm used to popping the covers off axles, with the associated mess. That's why I was looking at aftermarket covers. I'll grab 2 quarts of gear lube and do the 10 minute drain and fill just to be sure.

if you think you may have gotten water in there I'd pull the cover

Top Bottom