Weird electrical issue...horn doesn't work, front turn signals are 'dim' but work...

Robertcrav

Didn't see any DTC/check engine lights on the dash, but I did scan them with my flash cal, and there were several...basically every light circuit on the front was "high" (list below) I had not done anything/made any changes for a couple of days when this popped up..I briefly got a left front turn signal bulb out, and the quick flash...but by the time I parked and restarted the Jeep it was flashing normally...just dimmer than it should be. Any thoughts? And thanks in advance!

B162C - LT LOW BEAM CONTROL CKT HI
B1630 - RIGHT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
B1634 - LEFT HI BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
B1638 - RIGHT HI BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
B163C - FRONT LEFT TURN CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
B1640 - FRONT RIGHT TURN CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH

Frydaddy

Do you have any aftermarket lights? anything from a separate light bar to different headlights, even those LED signal bulbs. Its an internal message saying that the computer isnt getting the stock voltage/current readings from something in that circuit. Its harmless if it doesnt actually trip the CEL, it's just a status message is all. Here is a link to other people with the same issues.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12422-Truck-lite-issue-need-help

Is it still under warranty?

Edit: I creeped your other posts. I'll bet the HID lights dont have any CEL compensation circuit in it, at least their distributors website doesn't mention it.

Last edited:

Robertcrav

Do you have any aftermarket lights? anything from a separate light bar to different headlights, even those LED signal bulbs. Its an internal message saying that the computer isnt getting the stock voltage/current readings from something in that circuit. Its harmless if it doesnt actually trip the CEL, it's just a status message is all. Here is a link to other people with the same issues.

It is still under warranty... I have had my Aurora 30w LED Cubes spliced into the stock fog light wiring for almost a year...and a few days before this issue popped up I removed my Morimoto Sealed7 HID headlights, and plugged back in the stockers...

Thank you, I will flip thru that link

Drdiesel1

It is still under warranty... I have had my Aurora 30w LED Cubes spliced into the stock fog light wiring for almost a year...and a few days before this issue popped up I removed my Morimoto Sealed7 HID headlights, and plugged back in the stockers...

Thank you, I will flip thru that link

A bad ground will cause this.

Frydaddy

A bad ground will cause this.

That sounds more likely with the dim lights and dead horn.

The only other thing I could assume, and this is a stretch, is an electrical short somewhere. some wires might have rubbed the insulation off.

Drdiesel1

That sounds more likely with the dim lights and dead horn.

The only other thing I could assume, and this is a stretch, is an electrical short somewhere. some wires might have rubbed the insulation off.

Those are all hi circuit codes. The PCM/BCM is seeing 12 volts on the monitored circuits.
An open ground will allow the bias voltage to reach battery voltage and that causes hi circuit DTC's.
It's the same as an open circuit to the bias monitor. PCM/BCM puts out a B+ signal to the load.
It monitors that voltage to detect an open or short. If the solenoid, bulb, (IE load) is open or the ground is open,
the system see's it as B+ and sets those DTC's, based on the return signal voltage. 0 volts is lo circuit fault.
It's a short to ground that brings the bias voltage to zero volts. The control module has a resistor built into the 12V return signal.

Last edited:

Frydaddy

Those are all hi circuit codes. The PCM/BCM is seeing 12 volts on the monitored circuits.
An open ground will allow the bias voltage to reach battery voltage and that causes hi circuit DTC's.
It's the same as an open circuit to the bias monitor. PCM/BCM puts out a B+ signal to the load.
It monitors that voltage to detect an open or short. If the solenoid, bulb, (IE load) is open or the ground is open,
the system see's it as B+ and sets those DTC's, based on the return signal voltage. 0 volts is lo circuit fault.
It's a short to ground that brings the bias voltage to zero volts. The control module has a resistor built into the 12V return signal.

DR. Diesel for the win! Dude are you a Chrysler tech or something? I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade and I don't know squat with all the fancy systems they sneaked into these jeeps. Like why the hell does the horn take half a second to activate? Did they put in a debounce function on a freaking car horn?!

Robertcrav

Edit: I creeped your other posts. I'll bet the HID lights dont have any CEL compensation circuit in it, at least their distributors website doesn't mention it.

That could be...but I've had the HID lights in for almost a year, and this issue popped up after I removed them and put the stockers back in... :-/

Robertcrav

Wow....thanks and you actually explained it so I can kind of understand it...

I actually dropped it off at the dealer last night as another issue popped up...it started getting hot...water temp warning light came on...pulled over and realized the electric fan was not spinning... all the ground studs on the fenders looked solid, nothing loose...swapped the a/c relay and fan relay to see if that would help...by that time, it cooled down to 228ish according the digital gauge...hustled to the dealer to drop it off with the ac blowing hot, and it creeping back up close to 250...

I will keep everyone posted on what they say...there were no codes for the fan/over heating issue when they scanned it for the service ticket.

thanks for the explanations and advice

Robertcrav

Update....dealer reflashed the pcm after replacingnthe TIPM...picked it up yesterday...seems to be good so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jmatta33

Is this English? Electrical stuff makes my head hurt... :grayno:

Top Bottom