Need replacement 3.8 engine for 2008 JK

So long story short, one of our employees drew the short straw with his 2008 JK. Unfortunately a couple days ago, his 3.8 V6 engine went kaput at only 29K miles. Yea, I typed that right, 29,000 miles. The Jeep is his wife's and it was treated very nicely since 2008. He actually got an oil change at Jiffy Lube (Steve is our event coordinator, and goes to nearly every race or event every weekend. He simply hasn't had a day off in over a month. At that point, Jiffy Lube is much more desirable than self service when you simply don't have time off.) and as much as we'd love to commit the blame to them doing something wrong, upon pulling the engine apart, there was plenty of oil, but it spun a bearing and led to catastrophic failure. The repair cost he was quoted is upwards of $6,000. Before committing to the costly repairs, we decided to reach out to you wonderful people and see if there's anybody that may have "the hookup" on another engine. Maybe you did a swap and have the old 3.8 sitting around.... Maybe you know a guy who hoards those engines..... Maybe you know a guy who knows a guy trying to make room in his garage. Either way we would greatly appreciate any leads on getting our hard working Steve a replacement power plant. Thanks guys!

WJCO

Meme King
Try Jasper for reman ones. Also online junkyards or eBay can have good used ones with warranties. Just check that it's a reputable business. Good luck.

geberhard

Douchebag
May be time for an upgrade! I believe there are some companies like Hesco selling storker setups and stroker kits (4.1) for the 3.8 if a rebuild in is th cards. Otherwise, check out jwjeeps in Rancho Cordova\Sac (dismantler). Good luck!

keno4x4

If he is the original owner, should it not be covered under the lifetime power train warranty? I don't think the warranty was transferable though to any other buyer.

geberhard

Douchebag
There is a lifetime warranty on Jeep engines??

Ah another great place to get engines super cheap and more local to you in California is Jeepspeedshop, they do Hemi swaps (meh) and LS swaps, the owner is Todd, very cool cat.

Gui

Moochie

There is a lifetime warranty on Jeep engines??

Ah another great place to get engines super cheap and more local to you in California is Jeepspeedshop, they do Hemi swaps (meh) and LS swaps, the owner is Todd, very cool cat.

Gui

Yes, in 2008 I think all JKs came with a lifetime power train warranty (at no extra cost). Original owners only. It was a sales incentive at the time. There is a dealership inspection that would have needed to been completed at 5 years of ownership. I used it on mine to replace my engine at about 80,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Call Rubitrux in Boone, NC. I think they have a new 3.6 sitting on a pallet from a swap & they may have a lead on a 3.8 for ya.

Sent from my duck blind.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Might want to look at these replacements. ATK

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Engine-Perf...ine.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=46&t_pt=4337&t_pn=ATKDDR3

When you purchase an engine from ATK you can rest assured that you are buying something that is better than new quality. Why does ATK have better than new quality? Every engine that ATK remanufactures is reverse engineered to ensure that any original factory defects are removed, saving you time and money and keeping your car or light truck on the road and out of the shop."

This seems like it might be a good solution as well reading above statement

I definitely appreciate all the help so far. Steve is currently out at another event (go figure) so when he gets back in the office on Monday, I'll pass along all this info to him. Thanks again, guys!

Honestly the ones on eBay are for sure the best priced, and we're looking for anything that's going to cost less than the 6 grand quoted. However that price was for full repairs, so install labor included. We figured we'd reach out just in case anyone had one they needed to get rid of prior to going through ebay. Thanks again.

Eezybreezy08

I feel bad for you bub, my 2008 did the same thing. I had about 40,000 miles on mine though. Anyways I went with a swap out of a wrecked jeep. Cost $1500 for the motor and $500 to have it put in. I hope you can find one soon

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
If you can find an engine it wouldn't be too expensive to have it put in. However I can't imagine they are too terrible to install yourself either, especially with access to a shop...

Top Bottom