Windrock Oct. 8, 2016

podge

Hate for this to be my first post, as I had signed up within the past few weeks... But I'm kind of in a tough spot. My wife and I are headed to Windrock for the first time on our way to the smokies. We were going to meet a friend there to follow around with, but his clutch went out.... We intend to do just easy to moderate trails. I reckon we might be stuck doing them by ourselves but rather not.. anyone headed there in the morning? or... is there some trails that'll be safe enough (as in, get in and out in one piece) if I don't drive like an idiot??

Thanks !!

trailless

Caught the Bug
I'm not headed there but that park has a lot of trails. What mods do you have?

Personally I'd stick to green trails if I was going alone. It's mainly going to be dirt roads but at least you won't be stuck out there by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

podge

I'm not headed there but that park has a lot of trails. What mods do you have?

Personally I'd stick to green trails if I was going alone. It's mainly going to be dirt roads but at least you won't be stuck out there by yourself.

Thanks !!.. Rubicon 4 door, 3.5" lift, 35's.

thardy

Banned
Hate for this to be my first post, as I had signed up within the past few weeks... But I'm kind of in a tough spot. My wife and I are headed to Windrock for the first time on our way to the smokies. We were going to meet a friend there to follow around with, but his clutch went out.... We intend to do just easy to moderate trails. I reckon we might be stuck doing them by ourselves but rather not.. anyone headed there in the morning? or... is there some trails that'll be safe enough (as in, get in and out in one piece) if I don't drive like an idiot??

Thanks !!

We've done quite a few runs there. In fact, had a big "End of Summer" run back in August. I know there are a few people up that way you might be able to convince to join you. I would PM "whytiptoe", "BroncoRubi", or "Jeep dad". I'm sure one of them would be willing to show you around.

Also, if all else fails, you're welcome to PM me with your skill and comfort level and I would be happy to point you in the right direction. I planned out the big run and have a fairly decent knowledge of the park.

Coop

Caught the Bug
When you get to Windrock you need to get passes. The Windrock country store sells maps which is a must have. The trails are pretty well marked but you have to take your time at the trail heads to find the markings because the vegitation has been pretty aggressive this year and covers them up. Do you have a winch? If you don't and you are by yourself you will need to pay attention to where you are and what trails you select; why you need a map. You might PM thardy, he has led the WAL end of Summer runs and has a series of trails for sight seeing and intermediates he may be able to send you.
This park is beautiful, huge and worth the trip. Make sure you let Trevor know you are wheeling by yourself! Have fun!

He beat my post!

Last edited:

podge

Thanks to all of you for the great responses !!

My comfort level probably exceeds the capability of my stock axles. I probably crawl over obstacles a bit more cautiously than I need to, but I need to drive it home. I spent a day in August with a guy in Tennessee who taught me how to properly drive the jeep off-road but now just looking to gain experience. I've looked at #51 a lot since I found videos on youtube on it and it didn't look out of the question.. #16 is a different story !.. staying away from that one for now!..

I do have a decent winch, and recovery gear, C.B.

In my previous life, I was in a hobby for 10 years, and 'retired' from that. Got this jeep last December, and this whole thing is slowly wanting to turn into a monster!!.. I want to get out there on the trails a bit more before the winter to see if I want to dump a lot more money into this... being a jeep, seems I don't have a choice !! :)

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
Depending on how long you're going to be there, I've got a couple of great little rides. Just let me know if you want some ideas.

Also, I'd suggest downloading an app called Maplets. It has the Windrock map on it and will show your location on it via GPS. I find that using the app along with the paper map from the store, makes things easy to navigate

podge

Depending on how long you're going to be there, I've got a couple of great little rides. Just let me know if you want some ideas.

Also, I'd suggest downloading an app called Maplets. It has the Windrock map on it and will show your location on it via GPS. I find that using the app along with the paper map from the store, makes things easy to navigate

yes!.. I'd appreciate some good ideas.. My wife is a photographer so if there are some nice views, It'd help me get her a little more involved.. I've downloaded that Maplets, and the windrock map, and that is very slick !!.. if it works right, It'll be the best $2.99 I've ever spent.. Planning on 3-5 hours there?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Good info here, I'm going to be down there at the end of the month so I'm subscribing. Maplets sounds like it's worth checking out.

Coop

Caught the Bug
yes!.. I'd appreciate some good ideas.. My wife is a photographer so if there are some nice views, It'd help me get her a little more involved.. I've downloaded that Maplets, and the windrock map, and that is very slick !!.. if it works right, It'll be the best $2.99 I've ever spent.. Planning on 3-5 hours there?

There are fantastic views everywhere, especially if you get up to the windmills, but that is a long haul!

thardy

Banned

How long are you going to be there or at least planning to ride?

thardy

Banned
Alright, this would be my suggested map for your timeframe. It's nothing too challenging, will have some good flex spots, but more scenic for your wife to get into it and take pictures.

If you had more time, I'd route you up to The Flats but thats a full day ride. So here's my suggestion.

From the Store, take Trail 2, all the way up to G1. Left on G1 to G20 to right on G2, to left on 4. I would then explore the area of G20, 20, and 19 before heading back out. 19 will be the slightly more challenging trail. If you have time, you can tackle 22 as well. They've smooth a good bit of it out, but still a good trail. If you have any questions, let me know.

podge

Alright, this would be my suggested map for your timeframe. It's nothing too challenging, will have some good flex spots, but more scenic for your wife to get into it and take pictures.

If you had more time, I'd route you up to The Flats but thats a full day ride. So here's my suggestion.

From the Store, take Trail 2, all the way up to G1. Left on G1 to G20 to right on G2, to left on 4. I would then explore the area of G20, 20, and 19 before heading back out. 19 will be the slightly more challenging trail. If you have time, you can tackle 22 as well. They've smooth a good bit of it out, but still a good trail. If you have any questions, let me know.

Awesome !!.. thank you!!... took a phone picture of this post as I am kind of lazy to type this on my phone.. this gives us a good plan!!.. thanks again !.. I'll post when I get back on how it went.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug

22 is a good trail.

I'm gonna try to make a trip to Windrock mid November or January if anybody wants to go. Or both[emoji106]

thardy

Banned
22 is a good trail.

I'm gonna try to make a trip to Windrock mid November or January if anybody wants to go. Or both[emoji106]

I'd be interested. January would be good! I might be able to get Jeep Dad interested. How hard do you like to rock?

I do plan on putting something together towards the beginning of the year. I should be able to play then!

Top Bottom