EVO No-Limits Manual Disconnect Issues

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I've been having a clunk in the front end that I've been hunting down for a few weeks. I narrowed it down to the sway bar today. I was putting new coils in and noticed that the sway bar was disconnected even though the EVO manual disconnect was all the way out. I took it out to inspect and this is what I found:
evoDisco1.jpg
evoDisco2.jpg
I took the rest of the sway bar apart and all of the gears are in good working order. With the sway bar off I experimented a bit with the disconnect knob and noticed that it didn't take much at all to make it disconnect by hand. I only had to rotate the knob once, then it disconnects with the knob still almost all the way out.
evoDisco3.jpg
Above is a picture of it tightened in far enough to disconnect. I rotated it back out and it would lock up by hand, but I think the clunk I've been hearing is it slipping out. I'm thinking the spring is too long or the bolt on the other end of the knob is too long. The spring also looks like it has been rotating inside there a LOT, is that normal? Any thoughts before I call Quadratec or EVO?

LasVegasJK

Mine did the same thing. When I called EVO they told me to grind the end of the spring a little bit to shorten it. Also, there should be a washer between the spring and the disconnect mechanism in the motor. I used a thinner washer than was sent and now my swaybar locks when it's supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Mine did the same thing. When I called EVO they told me to grind the end of the spring a little bit to shorten it. Also, there should be a washer between the spring and the disconnect mechanism in the motor. I used a thinner washer than was sent and now my swaybar locks when it's supposed to.

Thanks, I may try to shorten the spring. I thought about removing the washer all together, but I'm not sure if there would be any adverse effects. A thinner one is a good thought though.

Kalums

Mine did the same thing, called Evo, shortened my spring, done and done. Keep the washer or atleast put in a thinner one, just my 0.02

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Mine did the same thing, called Evo, shortened my spring, done and done. Keep the washer or atleast put in a thinner one, just my 0.02

Cool, Sounds like it's not too uncommon to shorten the spring a bit. I'll probably do that later tonight.

Kalums

Dremel and you don't need to take that much off only between 1/16 and an 1/8th on an inch I also bored out the ID so that it fit the screw in plunger tip better but still very snuggly.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Dremel and you don't need to take that much off only between 1/16 and an 1/8th on an inch I also bored out the ID so that it fit the screw in plunger tip better but still very snuggly.

I don't think I'll need to bore out the inside seeing as how the spring has already worn so much of the bolt head off. I'll probably trim 1/16" off at a time and test in between. Thanks for the info! It's nice to have a little something to work off of than to just dive in blind :yup:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Trimmed the spring and all is well! :thumb: Thanks for the tips guys!
EVOSpring.jpg
It didn't take much, and I did leave the original washer in.

desertrunner

Evo Manual No limits Popping noise.

So for the last few days i have been trying to track down a popping noise coming from my front end. I would hear it at very random times and it would only happen when there was weight transfer, i couldnt roll back and forth and get it to repeat it would just be random, sometimes a pot hole going straight or sometimes turning into my driveway, sometimes loud sometimes quiet but there. I could even feel it in the steering wheel sometimes.

I immediately thought loose suspension component, but the only things i had changed was springs shocks and front sway bar, springs were seated correctly shocks were tight, the sway bar was a tad loose so i was like boom there it is! tightened it up and went for a drive and no luck same noise. As i had re checked everything i had changed out in the front suspension i was stumped on what to check next. And i dont have a torque wrench with me right now so kinda hard to tell how tight something actually is.

Only other thing i could think of that i changed out was the EVO manual no limits. I know i read people having problems with it not connecting because of the spring being too long and having to cut a coil. so i disconnected the swaybar and BOOM no popping noise FINALLY! went and reconnected it and first bump i hit POP, disconnected it again and drove home with no noise at all so im pretty convinced that was it. I am picturing the spring being just a tad too long and my swaybar being in a weird intermediate state of connected but not connected and when it had enough weight transfer it would break loose.

My next question is do i have to shorten the spring or can i just take out the washer thats on the end? The washer in there i imagine is protecting the disco mechanism and is already significantly thinner than the picture directions (i assume because people were having to cut the spring) so should i just pull it out cut the spring and call it a day?

desertrunner

Sorry this ended up being a long winded repeat thread I found the other thread with the exact same issue I had but here is a pic of what the no limits bolt head where the spring sits looks like now. Got conformation from EVO MFG that the wear there does absolutely nothing to the function and to go ahead and cut 1 to 2 coils off of the spring and should be good to go.

20170206_135240.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

CarolinaJK

Glad I found this thread. My sway bar has been "popping" ever since I put the no-limits on as well. Now I know what's making that damn noise! I've been re-tightening the whole front end to no avail.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Glad I found this thread. My sway bar has been "popping" ever since I put the no-limits on as well. Now I know what's making that damn noise! I've been re-tightening the whole front end to no avail.

Yup, I went through that whole dance multiple times.

Top Bottom