Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVO No-Limits Manual Disconnect Issues

EVO No-Limits Manual Disconnect Issues

I've been having a clunk in the front end that I've been hunting down for a few weeks. I narrowed it down to the sway bar today. I was putting new coils in and noticed that the sway bar was disconnected even though the EVO manual disconnect was all the way out. I took it out to inspect and this is what I found:
    evoDisco1.jpg
    evoDisco2.jpg
    I took the rest of the sway bar apart and all of the gears are in good working order. With the sway bar off I experimented a bit with the disconnect knob and noticed that it didn't take much at all to make it disconnect by hand. I only had to rotate the knob once, then it disconnects with the knob still almost all the way out.
    evoDisco3.jpg
    Above is a picture of it tightened in far enough to disconnect. I rotated it back out and it would lock up by hand, but I think the clunk I've been hearing is it slipping out. I'm thinking the spring is too long or the bolt on the other end of the knob is too long. The spring also looks like it has been rotating inside there a LOT, is that normal? Any thoughts before I call Quadratec or EVO?

Bump... Anyone have any advice?

Knows a Thing or Two LasVegasJK's Avatar
    Mine did the same thing. When I called EVO they told me to grind the end of the spring a little bit to shorten it. Also, there should be a washer between the spring and the disconnect mechanism in the motor. I used a thinner washer than was sent and now my swaybar locks when it's supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasJK View Post
    Mine did the same thing. When I called EVO they told me to grind the end of the spring a little bit to shorten it. Also, there should be a washer between the spring and the disconnect mechanism in the motor. I used a thinner washer than was sent and now my swaybar locks when it's supposed to.

Thanks, I may try to shorten the spring. I thought about removing the washer all together, but I'm not sure if there would be any adverse effects. A thinner one is a good thought though.

Knows a Thing or Two LasVegasJK's Avatar
    The washer is there to have a buffer between the spring and mechanism (I think).

Mine did the same thing, called Evo, shortened my spring, done and done. Keep the washer or atleast put in a thinner one, just my 0.02

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kalums View Post
    Mine did the same thing, called Evo, shortened my spring, done and done. Keep the washer or atleast put in a thinner one, just my 0.02
    Cool, Sounds like it's not too uncommon to shorten the spring a bit. I'll probably do that later tonight.

Dremel and you don't need to take that much off only between 1/16 and an 1/8th on an inch I also bored out the ID so that it fit the screw in plunger tip better but still very snuggly.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kalums View Post
    Dremel and you don't need to take that much off only between 1/16 and an 1/8th on an inch I also bored out the ID so that it fit the screw in plunger tip better but still very snuggly.
    I don't think I'll need to bore out the inside seeing as how the spring has already worn so much of the bolt head off. I'll probably trim 1/16" off at a time and test in between. Thanks for the info! It's nice to have a little something to work off of than to just dive in blind

Trimmed the spring and all is well! Thanks for the tips guys!
    EVOSpring.jpg
    It didn't take much, and I did leave the original washer in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast