Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: JK Front Dana 44 Rubicon axle into a WJ (99-04), ProRock 44 Swap

Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Good idea. I would try to turn the bolt around before cutting it. Imo

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Driver's side bump stop done. Moving it to the left about half an inch worked. It clears everything, hits where I want it to, and I didn't have to mess with the control arm bolt.

1227161436.jpg

I had to cut the rubber a little to fit over where the bolt is now.

1227161435.jpg

Here's how it sits at ride height and when wheel is starting to stuff.

1227161439.jpg

1227161444.jpg

Fresh Catch
    Thanks for answering some of the questions I had about this swap with your thread. Also, thanks for getting it done super quick.

One of the questions I asked the guy in Texas who swapped in a JK front axle was if instead of messing with the WJ spring perches on a JK axle if it might be possible to make an adaptor for the TOP of the springs and leave the area at the BOTTOM of the springs alone. From what I understand, the JK spring not only sit centered on the axle but about an inch lower than the WJ perches. An inch sounds like plenty of room for a top of the spring adaptor.

I found another thread where the guy left the JK perches and just let the springs angle inward like this / \ . From what I read, he didn't have any problem with it. Is the difference in width between the WJ and JK spring perches the same as the difference in width between the WJ WMS and JK WMS?

What would you do differently if you had it all to do over again?

Quote Originally Posted by aspera View Post
    Thanks for answering some of the questions I had about this swap with your thread. Also, thanks for getting it done super quick.
    Welcome to Wayalife. Glad to help, I too had a lot of questions before doing this. Keep in mind that any measurements I provide are general and may not be accurate as I'm using a measuring tape in my garage.

One of the questions I asked the guy in Texas who swapped in a JK front axle was if instead of messing with the WJ spring perches on a JK axle if it might be possible to make an adapter for the TOP of the springs and leave the area at the BOTTOM of the springs alone. From what I understand, the JK spring not only sit centered on the axle but about an inch lower than the WJ perches. An inch sounds like plenty of room for a top of the spring adapter.

Just measuring here this morning, it does appear the JK spring sits an inch lower. The WJ uses a lower rubber isolator where the JK does not. I kept that in mind with the measurement. Something to keep in mind if making your own is that the WJ coil sitting surface extends about 5 inches out from the center of the axle tube. The center of the coil mount extends about 1.75 toward of the center of the axle tube. You also will have to do something with your sway bar mounts.

0106170628.jpg

0106170629.jpg

I found another thread where the guy left the JK perches and just let the springs angle inward like this / \ . From what I read, he didn't have any problem with it. Is the difference in width between the WJ and JK spring perches the same as the difference in width between the WJ WMS and JK WMS?
    Not exactly sure what you asking, but the distance between the center of the WJ springs is about 37 inches, and it appears the distance between the center of JK springs is around 41 inches. Not sure what you mean in regards to wheel mounting surface, being the axles are 2 different lengths, all measurements I looked into were measured from the center thrust line outward. Being that the upper control arm mounts were re-used, I used that as a reference point. This may help too (Clayton's WJ bracket kit for a JK axle):

IMG_20170106_071919_845.jpg

What would you do differently if you had it all to do over again?
    Research the track bar a little more. I've relooked at every thing, and my track bar needs to come down about an inch on the axle side. This means welding 12mm washers over another hole in the Clayton bracket which is a pain in the ass as the space is limited. I really wish Clayton would have left the bracket holes at an OEM 12mm rather that 9/16". Anyone can drill them out bigger if they wanted to go that route. Or they should have provided a 9/16" track bar with the kit as an option even if it were more money.

I still have the old axle and have a jk jeep. So if you have any other questions, let me know and I'll try and answer them.
    Last edited by WJCO; 01-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.

I dont have anything constructive to add to the thread. I just wanted to say, EXCELLENT thread!! and a VERY clean install! It is obvious you put a lot of time and effort into the swap, and it really shows! Thank you for sharing all the tech info you did! While I dont own a WJ, it was definitely still interesting to read!

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    I dont have anything constructive to add to the thread. I just wanted to say, EXCELLENT thread!! and a VERY clean install! It is obvious you put a lot of time and effort into the swap, and it really shows! Thank you for sharing all the tech info you did! While I dont own a WJ, it was definitely still interesting to read!
    Thanks.

Got my first opportunity to take this thing out for an extended test drive. Did about 100 miles of driving in the mountains through slush and snow. Axle is fantastic . The ProGrip brakes are remarkable, the ProSteer joints are very smooth while steering, and I'm loving the hi steer setup. A much more comfortable Jeep to drive now than prior to the swap. The downside is the axle isn't as pretty anymore.

DSC04659.jpg
    Last edited by WJCO; 01-08-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Nothing but a Thing TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Got my first opportunity to take this thing out for an extended test drive. Did about 100 in the mountains through slush and snow. Axle is fantastic . The ProGrip brakes are remarkable, the ProSteer joints are very smooth while steering, and I'm loving the hi steer setup. A much more comfortable Jeep to drive now than prior to the swap. The downside is the axle isn't as pretty anymore.

DSC04659.jpg
    You were going a 100mph in the mountains through slush and snow?! Lol.. That's great to here everything is nice and smooth

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    You were going a 100mph in the mountains through slush and snow?! Lol.. That's great to here everything is nice and smooth

Well, I had to make sure the winch in front of the grill wasn't impeding air flow at those speeds

I just edited the post.

After getting a little bump steer over a manhole cover a week or so ago, I re-looked at my steering angles. The track bar really needed to come down an inch on the axle side to be a little more parallel. So I welded more washers over the larger bracket holes and lengthened the track bar about 1/4" and put it all back together again . Re-did the string test and they are definitely more parallel. Going for a test drive now.

0109171530.jpg

0109171531.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast