Rear differential spot leaking

Siriss

I have a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with a 3.5 inch lift. I took it out on some trails this weekend and noticed a new oil spot yesterday. The rear differential has always had a small leak in the bottom left, but now it seems to have one in the top right, and in the welded plug? where the axle shaft meets the differential. What causes these leaks, and besides the fluid level, is it anything to worry about?

IMG_2739.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. Since it's likely under warranty, take it in to dealer. The plug shouldn't leak at all, but the other spot looks like cover gasket seepage which isn't uncommon. If it's leaving drops on the ground, you should take it in, they don't hold much oil.

swampdog

The one at the bottom left is not s concern as long as it is just damp, and no dripping oil over time. If the diff takes a hit, the soft cover may deform a tad and allow a gap in the RTV seal enough to keep the area moist.

The leak around a weld is more concerning to me. I can't tell exactly what you are taking about from your picture. Can you get a better pic of that area?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Siriss

I can get a better picture this afternoon. The spot on the far right at the weld plug where the axle tube meets the differential is what is really concerning me.

Speeddmn

Cover leaks are an easy fix, the one where the spot/bung weld is could be a concern. Best advice I can give you, clean it all really well, drive it 30-50 miles to get the oil good and hot then take a look. Post back with new pictures, maybe a bit closer.

swampdog

Cover leaks are an easy fix, the one where the spot/bung weld is could be a concern. Best advice I can give you, clean it all really well, drive it 30-50 miles to get the oil good and hot then take a look. Post back with new pictures, maybe a bit closer.

I agree with this. Hit it with brake cleaner to get oil removed and let's see how much is leaking. I feel like this came up here recently and you can get the weld drilled out and have the rosette re-welded, but it was a pain in the dick to weld between the housing and the tube.

Top Bottom