Tie Rods

J

JKDream

Tie rod ends are starting to get sloppy, wheel has some slack etc.
What are most of you running for a tie rod?
Synergy has a nice option, but it's surprisingly expensive.
The 1-ton DIY kit is also an option.
Thinking I might be better off buying new rod-ends and keeping the factory bar.
I've beat it pretty good with 37's and it hasn't bent so far.
If I go the rod-end option, any suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Actually, as far as aftermarket tie rods go, I'd have to say that Synergy is one of the more affordable options. I personally prefer Currie and they're probably the most expensive way to go. The factory tie rod really isn't anything to write home about and if it were me, I would look into getting that can actually withstand a hit a little better. Of course, if you stick with stock, you can always straighten it out with a shop press. God only knows how many times I've done that :crazyeyes:

J

JKDream

LOL!! Actually, as far as aftermarket tie rods go, I'd have to say that Synergy is one of the more affordable options. I personally prefer Currie and they're probably the most expensive way to go. The factory tie rod really isn't anything to write home about and if it were me, I would look into getting that can actually withstand a hit a little better. Of course, if you stick with stock, you can always straighten it out with a shop press. God only knows how many times I've done that :crazyeyes:

The Currie one is nice, but brutal with our dollar.
Ironically, we have done the same as a trail fix with a friends JK.
Ratchet strap to the frame and pulled it straight lol
The only reason for consideration, tie rod ends ~$50/ea.
Entire assembly ~$600-$1000.
That's more than I paid for my Dana 44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Currie one is nice, but brutal with our dollar.
Ironically, we have done the same as a trail fix with a friends JK.
Ratchet strap to the frame and pulled it straight lol
The only reason for consideration, tie rod ends ~$50/ea.
Entire assembly ~$600-$1000.
That's more than I paid for my Dana 44.

ouch! yeah, for that amount of money, looking at TRE's may be the better way to go. Why not just get a set of Moog TRE's?

J

JKDream

ouch! yeah, for that amount of money, looking at TRE's may be the better way to go. Why not just get a set of Moog TRE's?

That's what I'm thinking.
Is there any benefit to "brand name" rod ends?
Synergy vs Moog as an example.

WJCO

Meme King
If it makes you feel any better, I just ordered a prorock axle with tons of upgrades but went with a stock tie rod. I don't wheel that hard, but have heard a lot of stories of the stock tie rod holding up just fine for lots of jeepers. Hopefully I'll be happy with that decision in the long run.

geberhard

Douchebag
hard to recommend without knowing about your Jeep and the type of wheeling you do, and how many miles your stock items have. I really like the Synergy setup. If you already had issues with your stocks, I consider this an opportunity to upgrade and be done with it rather than throw money on the stock setup for it to wear off again (there is probably a reason they are already beat), and aside form buying you time, you will end up dumping coin again in the future to fix the same thing again :)

My $0.2 cents

Top Bottom