Black Bear Pass... too much hype?

Jheapr

so, after completing the trail 2x in 2 separate rigs, both times with large groups, we all seemed agree that black bear was indeed gorgeous, but honestly... not difficult whatsoever. What do you guys think? the group i was with found Imogene pass leaving Telluride to be equally pretty, but more challenging and enjoyable over all. IMG_1476228800.760901.jpg IMG_1476228823.711310.jpg IMG_1476228873.944542.jpg

DISCLOSURE: i am by no means putting Black Bear Pass down, it was an amazing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Yeah, it's not a difficulty thing. There's video of a Renegade doing it. It's more about the pucker factor and the beauty. There's a funny video of a German(?) woman who sounds like she's pretty sure she's gonna die as her husband drives down it.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

swampdog

Yeah, it's not a difficulty thing. There's video of a Renegade doing it. It's more about the pucker factor and the beauty. There's a funny video of a German(?) woman who sounds like she's pretty sure she's gonna die as her husband drives down it.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

And he tells her to calm down with some Waylon-esque country in the background. Classic.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Jegar

Yes, those videos are hilarious!!!!!! I think her name is Effie and his Bill, or something similar. At certain points, I felt lime I would have been tempted to drive off the edge, just to make her quiet!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

I remember riding in a full size '79 Chevy Blazer on this trail as a kid. It was a lot narrower coming down the switch-backs than it is now. My dad had me guiding his front tires out to the very edge of each switch-back before he had to reverse again and again doing 5-6 point turns. As an adult driving down it with my wife in a rented Rubi I thought that it wasn't that hard at all. I love this trail because it's more of a mind-screw than it is "dangerous" or "technical".

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
San Miguel County has spent a ton of money and time making Black Bear wider and safer for all of us. The pass was way narrower and dangerous thirty years ago. More than a few 4x4's made fatal mistakes "back in the day." It's probably where it got the bad rep. Even so I went over it in my stock 2012 JKUR last month and only scraped the skidplate a couple of times on the steps as you begin the descent. Very doable with stock JK's. I can't imagine Imogene scale challenges on Black Bear, especially in the rain.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
This is supposedly a photograph of Black Bear Pass. If so, it was once, really treacherous. It isn't now, but it is very beautiful, and if you are in the area, you should do it. You can get a badge for it, and several trails in the area, from the Jeep Badge of Honor program.

IMG_1476289769.447936.jpg

This is supposedly a photograph of Black Bear Pass. If so, it was once, really treacherous. It isn't now, but it is very beautiful, and if you are in the area, you should do it. You can get a badge for it, and several trails in the area, from the Jeep Badge of Honor program.

View attachment 226703

That picture is straight up insane!

Ddays

Hooked
That pic is from a Warn ad back in the 70's. That guy gets my vote for Biggest Balls in the Universe.

Edit: I rescind my vote for this guy for Biggest Balls in the Universe. That would instead go to the crazy fucker on the bulldozer that made the road in the first place. This guy is #2.

Last edited:
That pic is from a Warn ad back in the 70's. That guy gets my vote for Biggest Balls in the Universe.

Edit: I rescind my vote for this guy for Biggest Balls in the Universe. That would instead go to the crazy fucker on the bulldozer that made the road in the first place. This guy is #2.

Lol. Warn winches are awesome...but in this case, it's not helping you from flopping lol

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug

View attachment 226703

Makes my palms sweat just looking at it from my office!! Man it's beautiful country out there.

Top Bottom