Differential leaking

Mtb275

Last weekend I took my jeep out to do some wheeling. I just noticed my rear differential is leaking.

I dragged my rear differential over a rock. And it looks like the stock diff cover was a tad bit bigger than the differential so the lip of the cover is ground down a little. I'm guessing this pulling/grinding on the diff cover caused the seal to break. That's where it is leaking.

Is the stock diff covers weak? Is this common? If I go to a good after market cover do I need to worry about this? Or should I just do a diff skid?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Last weekend I took my jeep out to do some wheeling. I just noticed my rear differential is leaking.

I dragged my rear differential over a rock. And it looks like the stock diff cover was a tad bit bigger than the differential so the lip of the cover is ground down a little. I'm guessing this pulling/grinding on the diff cover caused the seal to break. That's where it is leaking.

Is the stock diff covers weak? Is this common? If I go to a good after market cover do I need to worry about this? Or should I just do a diff skid?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

it's common.

depending on how much it bent, you can remove it and flatten it out and grind the lower bit that hangs below the diff - if it still hangs lower.

clean off any old gasket, RTV and fill with fresh oil.

Stock covers are pretty strong - I've got a couple of new solid covers but haven't needed them

TRLJNKY

I did the same thing. Took my stock one off and beat it straight again. Rtv'd it and called it a day.

sent from some burner phone found in a dumpster

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it's common.

depending on how much it bent, you can remove it and flatten it out and grind the lower bit that hangs below the diff - if it still hangs lower.

clean off any old gasket, RTV and fill with fresh oil.

Stock covers are pretty strong - I've got a couple of new solid covers but haven't needed them

This ^^^

Simply remove the cover, grind off the bottom lip so that it sits ABOVE the base of the diff housing and reinstall. You shouldn't have this problem again. :cool:

Top Bottom