Old guy buys old Jeep

daddyusmaximus

The last time I had Jeeps they were both CJ5s, and both before there was an internet...

I'm getting back into the off road world with another CJ5. I have been in large trucks for quite a spell. (Suburban & Super Duty) Just found a young man willing to take payments on a '79 CJ5. I'm U.S. Army retired/disabled and living off my VA disability, so this was very welcome. The Jeep was built as a sand toy, but will work for riding trails and camping as well as summer topless cruising. Both my other CJ5s were stock, but I'll be tinkering with this one, as it's already been tinkered with quite a bit. It doesn't have to serve as a daily driver, so I can have fun with it. Looking forward to learning and sharing.

As she sits now power is a rather healthy sounding (and feeling) 360. Holley 4v, MSD ignition, fender exit headers, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Trans is a 727 with a large cooler mounted in front of the radiator, and is backed by a Dana 20 T-case. The Dana 44 up front, and Detroit locker equipped Chrysler 9.25 out back have 4 wheel disc brakes, and 4.88 gears. They are from a full size Dodge truck and are kinda wide. So much for fitting between close trees. It's been beat on, but everything works (for now) so we'll see how it goes. I'm probably gonna Army it up.

AZMikeD

Nice looking CJ! Looks like fun. Interested to see what more you do to it. Welcome and thank you for your service.

Top Bottom