I need some help ASAP

Rodeo_jk

Ive got a 2014 wrangler sport 6 speed with 3.21 gears and open carriers, pulled my rear diff cover today to find out that my spider gears are chipped, if it is not covered under warranty by the dealer for various reasons, an aussie locker is the easiest most affordable diy option for me, so my concern is this: ive heard that with some gears the cross shaft that holds the spider gears in cannot be removed without pulling the carrier and removing the ring gear as some ring gears are thicker, and interfere with the path that the shaft needs to slide out of, does anyone know if this is the case with my 3.21's? Or can i simply slide it out past my ring gear? Im not looking for someone to talk me out of the aussie locker as i have had one before and i know about their road manners, but anyone else with personal experience or other relevant information, your help is very much appreciated!!

Rodeo_jk

This is the only picture i took before i put it all back together as i need to drive it to work tomorrow so unfortunately i cannot just go look at it for myself

Attachments

• 1477268386663.jpg
    1477268386663.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 211

Kalums

I have only had experience with a Chrysler 9.25 axle when it comes to this type of problem, but yes I believe you would have to completely disassemble it to remove the spider gears. Unless the dealer could prove you were out thrashing the crap out of the rear-end I don't see why they wouldn't cover it, seems straight forward to me. Make them fix it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Studfam24

From what I see it looks alright. It maybe just be normal wear and tear. But the picture is hard to tell.

Why did you open it up to begin with? Was it making noise?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

T.McD

in the picture it looks like the spider gears are blue like they overheated. how what the oil level when you removed the cover?

looking at the picture, it looks like the cross shaft will slide out. Typically most numerically lower gears are shallow enough to allow the cross shaft to slide out. but removing the carrier is not that bad either. you just need a torque wrench to put the gear back on and the bearing caps. if you do remove it, make sure you mark each side bearing cap and make sure you re-install them on the same side and the same orientation.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You asked for no one to talk you out of aussie as you've had one before so I won't do that.

Automatic lockers have a tendency to make 12+ jks go crazy and even into limp mode if driven on hwy. Just letting you know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

You asked for no one to talk you out of aussie as you've had one before so I won't do that.

Automatic lockers have a tendency to make 12+ jks go crazy and even into limp mode if driven on hwy. Just letting you know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is only for the automatics, he has a manual.

Top Bottom