Help getting heavy spare tire onto tire carrier

GoldenJK

My new 37s and Slabs weigh 132 pounds each and its a pain in the ass to get the spare on the rear tire carrier so I came up with this. When lifting the tire to put on the tire carrier you can't see the lug bolt holes to line up with the bolts. A royal pain of trial and error until you get things to line up.

Installed a steel tab on the center of the carrier to rest the wheel center bore on. Once there, just rotate the tire till things line up and then push in place. Way easy compared to before.
IMG_1477882706.334115.jpg
IMG_1477883182.834898.jpg
IMG_1477883205.781827.jpg
IMG_1477883225.100917.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JBF

Lifting heavy tires onto tire carrier.

Currently, I have a shittybilt hd tire carrier and an off brand steel bumper with the tire cutout. I bought said bumper due to the cutout being there and being able to rest the tire on the bumper prior to getting it on to the studs.

I want to ditch the bumper and go with the evo fascia with d ring mounts. However, I was in a really bad car accident a few years ago and my back won’t allow me to continually hold up the tire while trying to get it on the studs.

If I did the bumper delete, what would be an easier way to get the spare off and on without killing myself?

I had thoughts of using the trailer hitch with a bar sitting inside of it to rest the tire on it, but I’m also open to other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

WJCO

Meme King
Currently, I have a shittybilt hd tire carrier and an off brand steel bumper with the tire cutout. I bought said bumper due to the cutout being there and being able to rest the tire on the bumper prior to getting it on to the studs.

I want to ditch the bumper and go with the evo fascia with d ring mounts. However, I was in a really bad car accident a few years ago and my back won’t allow me to continually hold up the tire while trying to get it on the studs.

If I did the bumper delete, what would be an easier way to get the spare off and on without killing myself?

I had thoughts of using the trailer hitch with a bar sitting inside of it to rest the tire on it, but I’m also open to other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

I merged your thread here for the time being. I think we have another thread like it and will try to find it. Also, if you built a rear hitch stinger with the right design, it could probably aid you in getting the tire up there: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3852-Rear-receiver-hitch-stinger-slider

zimm

Caught the Bug
I roll the spare up onto the hitch. Then from there, hernia it up onto the carrier.

jeeeep

Hooked
with the new 37x13.5 Coopers on Machetes, I grunt, cuss - a lot and then pick my nads up off the drive way once it's in place.

I've pretty much destroyed my 3rd tail light I made that's mounted behind the spare.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
How to: Lift Heavy Spair

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3: Learn how to spell Spare <- My current phase

:beer:

Benito

Caught the Bug
If your fenders are narrow enough, roll the spare on top of one of the rear tires, by doing this you don’t have to squat up the tire or dead lift it. Once you have the spare on top of one of the tires, you can carry it to the carrier. It’s how I get the 40 on my evo hinge carrier.

Cold Gas

I have 41” tires and if I am alone, I back up to my trailer and put it on off the trailer deck. Could substitute your house deck possibly if you don’t have a trailer.
Also it’s much easier if you get one like the Genright carrier, which only uses one stud through the center of the wheel so it’s much less delicate alignment that way so goes up quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsukey

Just went through that strongman competition a couple of nights ago with my Spyderlocks and 37” Nitto Trail Grapplers. I was quite a few beers into the night to help loosen up. I rolled the wheel up onto a 5 gallon bucket. Then proceed to groan loudly while lifting the elephant up on the air high enough to reach the tire carrier. I too have a license plate relocation bracket hanging off that was helpful as a guide. I feel if I ever have to change it on the side of the road, I will have to use a ratchet strap attached to the top of my AEV tire carrier. That idea did not occur to me until the following day.

Top Bottom