Jeep truck- Next generation?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Fox's has the video interview on their page.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/01/17/jeep-wrangler-pickup-and-baby-wrangler-in-works/

A Jeep pickup truck?

You asked for it, and you just might get it.

Speaking at the Detroit Auto Show, Jeep President and CEO Mike Manley hinted that the off-road automaker is seriously considering putting a Wrangler-based pickup truck into production.

“That, maybe next generation, is a big opportunity for us to expand Wrangler as a brand,” Manley told FoxNews.com, adding that customers in the United States have shown a strong interest in just such a vehicle.

See: Double-wide Jeep Wrangler owns the road

Jeep currently offers a JK-8 pickup truck conversion kit for the four-door Wrangler Unlimited through Chrysler’s Mopar parts and accessories division that Manley said has exceeded expectations.

“It’s sold incredibly well,” Manley said, “but there’s still that demand for a factory-produced Wrangler pickup.”

Jeep last offered one in 1986 called the Scrambler, but Manley is a fan of the idea and has green-lighted several Wrangler pickup concepts in recent years, including the retro-styled JK-12 and Mighty FC, which features a unique cab-over-engine design.

Jeep sold over 141,000 Wranglers in 2012, up from 122,000 in 2011, making it the brand’s second most popular vehicle behind the Grand Cherokee. But when it comes to increasing sales, bigger may not be the only way to make things better. A smaller Wrangler could also be in the brand’s future.

“Where we are with Wrangler today is much bigger than where we stared off,” Manley says, citing safety regulations that have added size and weight to the vehicle over the years.

He doesn’t suggest replacing the Wrangler outright with a smaller vehicle, but believes there’s an opportunity to make a more compact model that picks up some of its design cues.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...kup-and-baby-wrangler-in-works/#ixzz2IFamoEmH

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I have a hard time believing that all this recent news about a Jeep truck is just a coincidence. Here's to hoping it comes out :thumb:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Man, I have a hard time believing that all this recent news about a Jeep truck is just a coincidence. Here's to hoping it comes out :thumb:

They have never been this bold about saying it anyhow. I'm really interested to see what the next generation Wrangler looks like. I bet we start seeing hints in the concepts just like the did with the Gladiator before the JK came out :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
1) I have no need for a truck, but I loved that red one. I saw it in Moab last year and might actually consider buying something like it.
2) I hope for those that want a truck get one
3) Why did they have to link the double-wide jeep video in that article? Takes all credence away in my opinion.

:cheesy:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'd love a Jeep truck so long as it's a real truck, with real power and real towing capacity. A factory version of the JK conversions now available wouldn't do it for me. I'd like to see Jeep put out something full size that could legitimately compete with the high end stuff like Raptors straight from the showroom floor. Jeep basically owns the shorter wheelbase offroad market with the JK, take a risk and make something different and better in a different market.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
It would be sweet if they had a jeep truck I would look at it but not sure if I would want to buy it...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
1) I have no need for a truck, but I loved that red one. I saw it in Moab last year and might actually consider buying something like it.
2) I hope for those that want a truck get one
3) Why did they have to link the double-wide jeep video in that article? Takes all credence away in my opinion.

:cheesy:
I didnt get the double wide reference either. I'm just Happy someone posted the video
I'd love a Jeep truck so long as it's a real truck, with real power and real towing capacity. A factory version of the JK conversions now available wouldn't do it for me. I'd like to see Jeep put out something full size that could legitimately compete with the high end stuff like Raptors straight from the showroom floor. Jeep basically owns the shorter wheelbase offroad market with the JK, take a risk and make something different and better in a different market.

I dont have a need for a big truck or a small truck, but that wouldnt stop me from buying.

Indefatigable

Fox news?

You really believe anything from fox news?

Sadly, this is just auto show season and they are trying to get attention when they are getting upstaged by things like the new Corvette and the Ford Atlas.

Too bad this is the same thing they play out every year, no matter who is in charge.... Jeep/Chrysler/Daimler/Fiat...

Sorry to bring you down...

Kind of stoked with the Diesel in the Grand though. Leads one to think of the possibilities for the JK. If only :(

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fox news?

Sadly, this is just auto show season and they are trying to get attention when they are getting upstaged by things like the new Corvette and the Ford Atlas.

Too bad this is the same thing they play out every year, no matter who is in charge.... Jeep/Chrysler/Daimler/Fiat...

Kind of stoked with the Diesel in the Grand though. Leads one to think of the possibilities for the JK. If only :(

:cheesy: If it weren't for your comment about the diesel in the Grand, I'd have to wonder if you ever have anything positive to say :crazyeyes:

We're just dreaming a bit - you know, having some fun wishfully thinking. You should try it some time as it might lighten up your day :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Fox news?

Mike Manley is the CEO of jeep right?

I

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Mike Manley is the CEO of jeep right?

I

:cheesy: I believe Jeep will eventually bring a truck to the market. And the video and article don't say when. I don't think any of us think it will happen next year. (toward the guy that told us not to believe not you Chris)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
:cheesy: I believe Jeep will eventually bring a truck to the market. And the video and article don't say when. I don't think any of us think it will happen next year. (toward the guy that told us not to believe not you Chris)

It will be when the new wrangler is introduced. It wouldn't make money sense to bring it out at the end of a model cycle.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Article from yesterday on the jeep truck also a concept picture! I don't drive a truck but I would if this goes to production! They said there should be more news later this week.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/possible-long-term-info-for-ram-and-jeep.html

Holy cow! If the alleged new Jeep pickup looks like the photo in the article, I gotta take a good look at it. The retro look is cool. I know, among other reasons, when Chrysler purchased Jeep they dropped the pickup to keep it out of competition with Dodge. This new concept seems like it will appeal more to Jeep enthusiasts rather than the general pickup buyer. Home run??:yup:
1951_Willys.jpg

simple4life

It is very cool its updated but still looks like a classic. The dodge in the same article looked terrible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using WAYALIFE mobile app

DanMojo82

What's a jeep pick up thread without mentioning AEV? :D

aev-brute-double-cab-xl.jpg

If they made this, but more around the price of a Ram 1500 or Ford F150 it would be great. I'd love it for the price of a Dakota or Ranger, but with a hemi and solid axles that sure as heck wouldnt happen.

Top Bottom