40x13.50x17 Owners question

Defcon3JKU

My Jeep will be running 40x13.50x17 next year sometime and a couple of guys from work want to take a trip possibly to the Rubicon Trail. That's a 2400ish mile trip for us and I was wondering if anyone has these tires on a 3.6 Pentastar that could give me some gas mileage averages. I'll be running Dana 60 with 5.38 gears. Thanks for any information someone might have. Trying to find out how many tanks of gas this might run me. Might get me an auxiliary tank for less stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
5.38 is the ratio you want with 40's and if you're willing to cruise at 65 MPH or less the whole way, you can probably get an average of 13 MPH. Your problem will be crossing the Rockies and mountain after mountain in Nevada. That will throw your MPG average down by quite a bit. Also, depending on what 40" tire you run, your MPG could be better or worse. Rolling resistance will rob you of MPG more than tire size. The more of a street like tread you run, the better you will get. The more aggressive, the worse.

Defcon3JKU

We will be running I-20 to I-40 for the most part. We from south AL and everyone here has Rubicon on their bucket list. Hey Eddie I'm ordering Evo Coilovers with my Dynatrac Pro60s. Question for you, how much actual lift do you run to clear your 40s with no clearance issues? I'm not doing Double Downs because we don't do prerunning at all.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I consistently get 10-12mpg at 70-75mph. About as good as it gets. That's with 40" Mud Grapplers, 5.38 gears, and the 3.6/5 speed auto. I would plan on a fuel stop every 150-200 miles, depending on speed and terrain.

As far as lift height, I have my coilovers set to somewhere around 3.5 - 4" of lift, and some cutting of the pinch seam in the rear is required, both in front of and behind the rear tire. It's just part of running 40s.

Defcon3JKU

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on Trail Grapplers unless the Ridge Grapplers come out in that size by then. This is going to be over 5,000 miles in 2 weeks. If these guys fall through on me, I'm going to try to meet up with some of you guys there if it can work out that way. Love this community, everyone around this area is starting to ask about my WAYALIFE decal.

Draconianwinter

The way I always figure my trips be it on my personal or my freightliner I take my average mpg figure the amount of fuel based on milage then I factoid in at least 2 more complete refuels. I usually won't née two but I have seen where I needed at least one extra on that long of a trip. And in my personal I always add 4 refuels and put thay much extra aside for both directions if no problems then you won't use the money but it is there just inn case

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I consistently get 10-12mpg at 70-75mph. About as good as it gets. That's with 40" Mud Grapplers, 5.38 gears, and the 3.6/5 speed auto. I would plan on a fuel stop every 150-200 miles, depending on speed and terrain.

As far as lift height, I have my coilovers set to somewhere around 3.5 - 4" of lift, and some cutting of the pinch seam in the rear is required, both in front of and behind the rear tire. It's just part of running 40s.

Sounds about the same for me.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Well just make sure you fuel when ever you can. I would definitely carry extra fuel in case. The'er stretches of road out west with no services and can leave you high and dry if your not paying attention. Ask me how I know. Lol

MOOK

This thread got me to check my current mpg to see where I'm at..

Im running 40x1550r20 Nitto Mud Grapplers on Slabs

Elevation is around 1400ft above sea level

5in of lift

Vehicle weight is just over 5700lbs with no gear while daily driving

25psi cold pressure all 4 tires

SuperChips Flashpaq 93 Octane Tune, Speedo is dead on thru 50mph and only ever off 1mph after that on my gps

Dynomax crawler exhaust

5.38 gears on an automatic

I filled the tank as full as possible then drove 100 miles. Normal driving, 80% backroads, 20% hwy. Tank level dropped just barely below 3/4 full. Filled back up and used 7.60 gallons of gas in the 100 miles. The math puts me at 13.157mpg if I did the math right. Pretty good I think compared to what some seem to be reporting :beer:

Top Bottom