Rubicon transfer case swap questions 2012 Manual Trans

desertrunner

So i might have found a guy local that is swapping out his rubi case for an atlas and he might sell it to me if i help him pull it out. I plan on using this sweet write up by notnalc68 http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-a-2014-Wrangler-JK-Sport-(Auto-Transmission) but i had a few questions before i try to go down the road of making a deal with him.

I have a 12' sport 6 speed, and from the info i have gathered the 12'+ have to have a transfer case out of a 12'+ that matches with the 6 speed or auto right? He has a 14' 6 speed so is sounds like it would work for my 12' 6 speed???

I have also read that i am going to need a programmer to change the Lo ratio to 4-1 to avoid it going into limp mode when putting it in 4Lo??

Is there any sort of extra wiring harness i would need to swap over from his or just plug my wires in and re program and be good to go?

I havent read anyone needing to change out any sort of shifter linkages to make the rubi case work so im assuming i would be good to go there?

desertrunner

From what I've read, it should swap right in. Yes, you need a programmer, to program for the transfer case ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sweet thanks! awesome write up BTW hopefully i can put it to good use soon.

Do i need the programmer right when i swap it in or can i drive it in 2wd without it? If im out there helping him take it out i might just see if we can swap it into mine right then and there but its about a 2 hr drive home

I have found a few on ebay and stuff but so far all i have found is out of 07-10 and from what i gathered they will not swap into mine? I also found one out of a 15' Auto but once again not sure if that would swap right into a 6speed? For the life of me i cant see why it would matter but i have no idea how all the electronics work

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Auto won't work for you, and I don't think anything below 2012 will, but I could be wrong. You shouldn't need a programmer to drive in 2wd. Have some help, or get a transmission jack.

desertrunner

will the Auto not work because of a different shaft that connects it to the transmission? Because that i totally get. I still dont really get why a older than 12 case wont work, i can only assume it has something to do with computer programming but i feel like there would be SOME way to override that with a programmer

notnalc68

will the Auto not work because of a different shaft that connects it to the transmission? Because that i totally get. I still dont really get why a older than 12 case wont work, i can only assume it has something to do with computer programming but i feel like there would be SOME way to override that with a programmer

I'm not sure about older than 2012. If it's the same transmission, I don't know why it wouldn't. The 2012 up, with 3.6L and auto has a different one, I know. I think it's the transmission shaft.

desertrunner

anyone out there try to install a pre 12' rubi transfer case into a 12'+ sport? (6 speed to 6 speed) really wondering why this wouldnt work? or maybe it would?

notnalc68

Rubicon transfer case swap questions

I googled it for you. See the thread below...

Rubicon Transfer Case Swap (2014 JKU w/ Manual trans)
Hey guys,

I read the tread about the bolting up of the rubi xfer case swap for an automatic trans, would the rules still apply if i am swapping out a rubi xfer case for a manual trans?

Do i need to change out the drive shaft? Other than changing out fluid, do i need anything else.

Correct me if im wrong, but i can pull any rubi manual trans transfer case from year models 2012 - Present?

thanks guys
http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=653656

desertrunner

Well shit wish I could have found that one on my own. Thanks! That was the biggest question I had so looks like if this guy's case doesn't work out I can expand my search to any 07-11 or a 12+ manual sweet!!

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Well shit wish I could have found that one on my own. Thanks! That was the biggest question I had so looks like if this guy's case doesn't work out I can expand my search to any 07-11 or a 12+ manual sweet!!

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah. I think I saw that in another thread, too. I edited your title, so that future researchers will hopefully find it more helpful.

Last edited:

desertrunner

this maybe a stupid question and maybe should go in a new thread but is there a way to RE gear a transfer case? I feel like people would do it if there is a way to just regear the 2.7-1. I know advanced adapters makes the rubi crawler for the 07-11 autos but for the price it would be easier to find a rubi case. and if i am reading it correctly it wouldnt work for the 12+ or maybe it would for the 12 manual idk? IF a 07-11 rubi case will fit in a 12+ manual i would imagine the rubi crawler would also work for a 12+ manual?

notnalc68

this maybe a stupid question and maybe should go in a new thread but is there a way to RE gear a transfer case? I feel like people would do it if there is a way to just regear the 2.7-1. I know advanced adapters makes the rubi crawler for the 07-11 autos but for the price it would be easier to find a rubi case. and if i am reading it correctly it wouldnt work for the 12+ or maybe it would for the 12 manual idk? IF a 07-11 rubi case will fit in a 12+ manual i would imagine the rubi crawler would also work for a 12+ manual?

I have no idea

desertrunner

Thank you Motech for the Rubi T Case!

Once i figure out when i can get some auto shop time or borrow a shit ton of tools from friends ill swap this bad boy in and post the update on whether or not the programmer is necessary for the manual trans. :thumb:

20170124_214114.jpg

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Nice! This is the most favorite mod I've done to my rig outside of PR44 axle swap. It really changes the off-road game. The amount of crawl power over the 2.72 is very significant. You're going to love it.

desertrunner

Nice! This is the most favorite mod I've done to my rig outside of PR44 axle swap. It really changes the off-road game. The amount of crawl power over the 2.72 is very significant. You're going to love it.

Its for sure going to be a great addition my old Rubi crawled amazing i kinda miss it haha i am slightly torn about my 3.21s though it might have been better served to spend the money on gears and not the T case but throwing money at a D30 i plan on replacing later and of course wanting lockers when i do gears it would have opened a bigger can of worms. Hopefully i can get the T case installed in a week or 2 and go test it out, it will at least help out my lo ratio :thumb:

Top Bottom