2013 Won't crank

Baker

Hey guys i need some help. So the issue is i put key in and go to start and it does nothing. No security light on no check engine light on. I hear fuel pump come on. I hear relays under hood switch. I hear nuetral saftey switch. But nothing happens. The past week i have been hearing alternator whining and about to go out and i was going to change but havent had time. Ao battery completely diex and wouldnt jump start so i changed it out. Started it up and worked perfect for about 3 secs than shut off. I did that like 5 times and now i am where i am now. Any suggestions.

Baker

Also i have checked ignition pin and left battery cable off over night and also removed ecm fuse. About to see if power going to starter.

jeeeep

Hooked
did you try both keys?
kind of sounds like the kill switch kicking on
did you try starting it in neutral, foot on the brake?

Baker

Just tested starter im not get any power to the switch but i have power to the main contact on starter so i know its not the starter. Also when i try to start it the check engine light flashes but resets after i turn it off so i cant run self diaognostic

sblackf1

Just tested starter im not get any power to the switch but i have power to the main contact on starter so i know its not the starter. Also when i try to start it the check engine light flashes but resets after i turn it off so i cant run self diaognostic

Did you go through and check [All of] your grounds? Even a corrosive but solid looking ground can be bad. It was common on my first TJ that bad grounding caused random electrical ghosts.

Baker

Everything is coming on normal like radio gauges everything. Just tried to jump start starter and stsrter runs perfect but doesnt turn engine over.

Modit

Did you go through and check [All of] your grounds? Even a corrosive but solid looking ground can be bad. It was common on my first TJ that bad grounding caused random electrical ghosts.

This ^^^

Things like radios and lights don't draw the instant current that a starter does. I've had terminals that weren't visibly corroded that caused this type of problem.
If you clean the terminals between the starter and the battery the worst you'll end up with is clean terminals. If it doesn't solve the problem, at least you've eliminated that as the cause. It's cheap too!

Baker

This ^^^

Things like radios and lights don't draw the instant current that a starter does. I've had terminals that weren't visibly corroded that caused this type of problem.
If you clean the terminals between the starter and the battery the worst you'll end up with is clean terminals. If it doesn't solve the problem, at least you've eliminated that as the cause. It's cheap too!

Did that no luck as well. I tested the cable that comes from igniton to starter and its no sending power. Thats the problem i just cant find out whats between it stoping it.

Baker

Update: i have to signal going to starter relay. The 85 terminal is dead when i turn key to on position.

WJCO

Meme King
See if you have another relay that is similar or identical to the starter relay. Swap them with each other. See if symptom goes away. Also, commonly on these fuse boxes (TIPMs) they have internal issues. I would wiggle it, wiggle the harness, etc. Try and see if you may have an intermittent open or short.

Top Bottom