Superchips?

MF3R

Hi guys, just want to thank everyone in advance for any help :)

Quick question, bought my JK used (2014). There's a Superchips sticker in the door jamb and im worried that it may not have been unmarried. I just put 35's on and want to recalibrate the speedo and such but I'm worried if I hook up a programmer and my Jeep is still married to one I don't want to damage the PCM. Is there a way to find out if its still married to a programmer? Thank you again for any help :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi guys, just want to thank everyone in advance for any help :)

Quick question, bought my JK used (2014). There's a Superchips sticker in the door jamb and im worried that it may not have been unmarried. I just put 35's on and want to recalibrate the speedo and such but I'm worried if I hook up a programmer and my Jeep is still married to one I don't want to damage the PCM. Is there a way to find out if its still married to a programmer? Thank you again for any help :thumb:

If it's still married to an old programmer your programmer will not be able to be read and it should notify you. This will not damage the pcm so don't worry about it. If the old programmer is still married to your jeep you will have to have it unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A dealer can flash the computer and that will erase the Superchips info - bring it back to stock. Don't know if that's necessary though.

Yeah, you'll want it returned to stock before stacking another tuner on it. Seen some funky issues come through when throwing a tuner on top of another tune. You don't know what the PO did or didn't do. Buy a new tuner and start fresh.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you'll want it returned to stock before stacking another tuner on it. Seen some funky issues come through when throwing a tuner on top of another tune. You don't know what the PO did or didn't do. Buy a new tuner and start fresh.

It's always the best idea to return a program back to stock before running another tuner but if I'm reading things right, the OP may not have access to the original tuner. While you could very well be right that installing another tuner could cause problems, I haven't seen it be a problem and I've made the dumb mistake of running one on top of another. Again, a dealership flash would erase a tune but that can cost about $100 to do.

To the OP, were you planning to run another Superchips Flashpaq? Or, were you just wanting to calibrate your speedo to match your tires and gears? If the later, you should be able to run a ProCal or Flashcal to do that without any problems. At least, I've done it on my 2012 and without issues. If you're wanting to change a tune, you might want to contact Superchips to see what they have to say.

...If you're wanting to change a tune, you might want to contact Superchips to see what they have to say.

Good advice for sure.

Recently I had a customer pick up the JKS JCal tuner (a rebranded FlashCal) to change tire size going from a 35 to a 37 on a 2013 JK after the PO of his Jeep already threw a tuner to correct for the 35s. It caused all kinds of fun issues, including shifting problems. Don't know what the PO had on there before so there's a lot that we don't know, but even after removing the new tune the Jeep was still out of sorts. Sent him to the dealer, reflashed it to stock and added the tuner back, no problems.

I've had a couple of run ins with this when guys change tire size on used Jeeps. I think they've all been 3.6 Jeeps.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good advice for sure.

Recently I had a customer pick up the JKS JCal tuner (a rebranded FlashCal) to change tire size going from a 35 to a 37 on a 2013 JK after the PO of his Jeep already threw a tuner to correct for the 35s. It caused all kinds of fun issues, including shifting problems. Don't know what the PO had on there before so there's a lot that we don't know, but even after removing the new tune the Jeep was still out of sorts. Sent him to the dealer, reflashed it to stock and added the tuner back, no problems.

I've had a couple of run ins with this when guys change tire size on used Jeeps. I think they've all been 3.6 Jeeps.

Guess I got lucky. Not on purpose but I've run a Flashpaq on my 2012 JK with a 3.6L motor and changed my tire size and gear ratio with an AEV ProCal and without any problems. But again, better safe than sorry.

MF3R

I don't have access to the original tuner. Sounds like my best bet is to have it reflashed at the dealer and start fresh. Thanks guys for the input, you guys are awesome [emoji846][emoji846]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have access to the original tuner. Sounds like my best bet is to have it reflashed at the dealer and start fresh. Thanks guys for the input, you guys are awesome [emoji846][emoji846]

Before you go to your dealership and have your computer flashed, make sure you already have a programmer. Assuming you are running bigger tires and/or different gears, you'll need it to set your tire size and gear ratio. If you don't, your Jeep will go into limp mode as soon as you leave.

MF3R

Before you go to your dealership and have your computer flashed, make sure you already have a programmer. Assuming you are running bigger tires and/or different gears, you'll need it to set your tire size and gear ratio. If you don't, your Jeep will go into limp mode as soon as you leave.

Ahh...thank you I'll order one today. Quick question though should I go with the superchips or the AEV? Based on your experience

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh...thank you I'll order one today. Quick question though should I go with the superchips or the AEV? Based on your experience

If you're just wanting a programmer, I own both and can tell you both will allow you to set your tire size and gear ratio. What I like about the Superchips FlashCal is that it has a screen and it'll not only show you codes, it'll give you a brief description as to what it is. What I like about the AEV ProCal is that it will allow you to do things like turn off your TPMS easier and turn off your sway bar light if you're running something like an EVO No-Limits manual knob. Of course, not too many people are running that.

MF3R

If you're just wanting a programmer, I own both and can tell you both will allow you to set your tire size and gear ratio. What I like about the Superchips FlashCal is that it has a screen and it'll not only show you codes, it'll give you a brief description as to what it is. What I like about the AEV ProCal is that it will allow you to do things like turn off your TPMS easier and turn off your sway bar light if you're running something like an EVO No-Limits manual knob. Of course, not too many people are running that.

Yeah I'd rather have the superchips for the screen, but I noticed you have to download something to enable the tpms function, which is no big deal. Thank you again!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I'd rather have the superchips for the screen, but I noticed you have to download something to enable the tpms function, which is no big deal. Thank you again!

Yes. The Flashcal will not come with the ability to zero out your TPMS but you can download the program for free from Superchips.

xman4602

I've got a question I'd like to chime in here....... I found a used superchips unit on CL for a reasonable price. Am I asking for trouble buying a used one? Will one purchased a few years ago work on a 16?

“You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men, but I'm trying real hard to be the shepard”

Draconianwinter

I've got a question I'd like to chime in here....... I found a used superchips unit on CL for a reasonable price. Am I asking for trouble buying a used one? Will one purchased a few years ago work on a 16?

“You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men, but I'm trying real hard to be the shepard”
Someone can chime in but I think I saw more than one post saint the older ones didn't work on the 2016 or was it the other one

sent from your basement

Napalm

No it will not. 2016s have their own model of Flashpaq, one of which you have to have your ECM unlocked to use.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Someone can chime in but I think I saw more than one post saint the older ones didn't work on the 2016 or was it the other one

sent from your basement

This is partially true. The same applies to 2015, but they work for some settings like tire and gear ratio etc but there is no engine tuning without decrypting the ecm by swapping or mailing it in.

Top Bottom