Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a best year for a TJ?

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner542 View Post
    I found a 2003 rubicon with both tops, 1 owner, 4.0, automatic 98,000 asking $11,000 looks really clean we are gonna check that one out.. where should i be looking for the beginnings of rust? if its not obvious
    Good find! I paid a bit more for my 04 Rubi with 89k. I don't know as much as some of the guys here, but I understand the fenders and the tub itself are good places to look for hidden rust. Also check the bottom of the doors and rear gate. Good luck, if you get it, you're going to love it!

One more thing, make 100% sure that the lockers work correctly. Turn them in and make certain that the lights stop flashing and stay solid while driving it around in 4low. I bought mine and they would go solid for a bit and then flash. Eventually both lockers quit working and the limited slip in the rear came apart. Cost a small fortune to repair.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would look for 2003-2006. The frames tend to be in better shape and i believe they have the 4 speed automatic.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hooked
    04-06 rubicon's come with a 6 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had an 06 loved it. You have to watch for the opda issues with those years.

I had a 97, and never had a single problem through to around 200,000 miles when I sold her. But that sounds like a good budget to be able to find a really nice, low mileage TJ, maybe even an LJ.

Oh! And I think they started making the Rubicon in 2003 or 04? So that could be in his budget also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner542 View Post
    I found a 2003 rubicon with both tops, 1 owner, 4.0, automatic 98,000 asking $11,000 looks really clean we are gonna check that one out.. where should i be looking for the beginnings of rust? if its not obvious
    That seems like a good deal...of course, can't really tell until you see in person. Do you have a link to an ad or anything?

I paid a little over $15,000 for my 2006 TJ in early 2015. It was bone stock with 27,000 miles. I would recommend trying to find something as close to stock as possible, and clean. Then you'll have an awesome blank canvas to work with. Also, try to get him into the manual...makes a Jeep SO much more fun in my opinion!

Good luck on the purchase
    2006 Jeep TJ
    "The Banana Jeep"

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Good find! I paid a bit more for my 04 Rubi with 89k. I don't know as much as some of the guys here, but I understand the fenders and the tub itself are good places to look for hidden rust. Also check the bottom of the doors and rear gate. Good luck, if you get it, you're going to love it!
    I got my 05 x edition for 4000 with only 43000 miles

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block Heavyhaul07's Avatar
    The 03 auto was a one year only trans. Don't ask me how I know. I went through 3 of them in 30k miles. During the last one the dealer told me they dropped that trans for the 04 as all the problems they had with them. I traded it in shortly after the 3rd was done under warranty as I needed a new truck for my business and needed it for tax purposes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12