Coil springs

JKbrick

I have a question for anyone who knows about coil springs. The JKS coils I have were supposed to be 2" but gave me 3 1/4" of lift on my 2 door. I have them off at the moment and I was wondering what it would hurt to cut 1 Revolution of coil off each spring? I'd sell them but they would cost to ship very far, but don't want to ruin them either.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have a question for anyone who knows about coil springs. The JKS coils I have were supposed to be 2" but gave me 3 1/4" of lift on my 2 door. I have them off at the moment and I was wondering what it would hurt to cut 1 Revolution of coil off each spring? I'd sell them but they would cost to ship very far, but don't want to ruin them either.

Probably supposed to yield 2" on a 4 door. I don't see why you couldn't cut them, but maybe someone else will chime in. Are you running stock bumpers and no winch up front? If you are, and plan to add an aftermarket winch & bumper, it should settle to 2.5 to 2.75", I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Probably supposed to yield 2" on a 4 door. I don't see why you couldn't cut them, but maybe someone else will chime in. Are you running stock bumpers and no winch up front? If you are, and plan to add an aftermarket winch & bumper, it should settle to 2.5 to 2.75", I would think.

I've actually got a quarter pounder and a warn winch but I don't think it dropped at all when I put it on! I don't feel to me they ride rough but my wife commented she thought they did so maybe they are so stiff they didn't sag?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I would advise not. I have done before with a VW spring to lower. You meed to heat up the end to even and level or your ride is really going to be shitty. Trust me. Sell the springs and get some replacements.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

The spring rate is a function of the wire size, coil diameter and number of coils so cutting a coil off will increase the spring rate which is not going to make it ride better.

Heating a spring to bend it removes the springiness and leaves you with mild steel which will just continue to deform and eventually break.

JKbrick

The spring rate is a function of the wire size, coil diameter and number of coils so cutting a coil off will increase the spring rate which is not going to make it ride better.

Heating a spring to bend it removes the springiness and leaves you with mild steel which will just continue to deform and eventually break.

Thank you, I want it to be a little lower but don't want it to ride bad which sounds like what you are saying will happen

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Almost all advertised lift heights are for 4 doors. Due to the weight difference with a 2 door you will naturally yield more lift.

DO NOT CUT A COIL OUT!! Either send them back, put them back on and they will settle a little bit once you add more weight to your jeep and use them a bit

BaddestCross

2" Plush Rides in front, medium duty OMEs in the rear and I pulled all the pucks so it's all spring lift right now. I'm still running 33s, so there's a lot of room under the pocket fenders even though it doesn't look like much from the profile view.

20161120_110724.jpg
20161120_110701.jpg
20161120_110924.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Yes. I couldn't tell you exactly how heavy they are, though. I believe the winch was around 60lbs, but the bumper was on when I bought the Jeep. It's a full-width Warn steel bumper, so I'm sure it's not light. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, the pics look like it sits level, I'm trying to get away without having to drill my new knuckle and flipping my drag link again. Think I'll try the 2" EVO springs next. TF has 1.5" front and rear coils but I'm not going there

Top Bottom