Things to look out for when buying a Jeep Wrangler 3.8

BumblebeeZA

I posted this on a local forum here in South Africa, doesnt seem like it got much appreciation.
I thought I'd share it with you guys though as you have helped me a lot with my Jeep questions so far.

I put together a few things for you guys to look out for when shopping around for a used Jeep JK.

This is from personal experience when I went shopping 2 years ago for my one.
2 years I have had my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon already and I have had no problems except for worn bushes on my Trackbar.

Here goes the list of things to check.
- Firstly put the key in the ignition... turn to on... back to off... back to on... back to off... back to on (Basically turning the key three times)
Do not turn to start the vehicle, just turn to the on position.
This will bring up any existing fault codes on the little screen by your speedo cluster if there are any.

Check for the following
- Water leak on water pump gasket
- Oil leak between the gear box and engine (signs of oil leak will most likely be a rear main seal)
- Oil leak from front main crank seal, iirc its the lowest "pulley" on the surpentine belt.

- Check if the 4wd system works by pulling the lever (It can be sticky at times, this is NORMAL)
- If its a Rubicon Model, check if the front and rear diff locks work as well as the sway bar disconnect.

The following should also be checked for any play
- Trackbar bushes
- Control arm bushes

Feel free to add any more advice guys!
Ill try update as you guys add more info.

Added info from other members:

Member: WJCO
Listen for exhaust leak on cold start up. Likely a cracked exhaust manifold

Member: webejeepin
Long list on this link http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?41227-Things-to-look-out-for-when-buying-a-Jeep-Wrangler-3-8&p=800336&viewfull=1#post800336

Member: ScoobyCarolanNC
Transmission lines weep oil where the switch from rubber to steel. Very front of the vehicle left hand side

Member: Judesign
If I were to buy used I would take an inexpensive obd2 code reader. Turning the key gives you the active codes but some dishonest dealers could just clear them before you come in. A scanner lets you read when the codes were cleared and can give you a lot of easy to read info on really how your engine is running

Member: BumblebeeZA
Please check your chassis and axles for any funny welding

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Very nice thread. One to add: Listen for exhaust leak on cold start up. Likely a cracked exhaust manifold.

Good thread, having since sold my 08 and logged 215,000Kms, a few things come to mind

-hard to see, but some early 3.8 burned oil, I was one of them, and had a rebuilt covered under warranty.

-verify PCV is not clogged.

-does the motor ping alot?

-I had the auto, plug the display stick what does the transmission fluid look and smell like?

-the little cheesy bushing on either end of the transfer case linkage do get brittle and break off.

-I had the steering clunk that was fixed with proper lube on the steering shaft, I want to say it's called the intermediate shaft under the hood were it exits the fire wall.

-the security LED had at times randomly flashed while driving....it was entertainment it was random, happened on in winter, same spot in my daily commute...for 4 or 5 days then nothing for months

-then there was the mystery steam, sometimes at a stop light you might see a little steam come form rad....dam days would do this.

-rad cap started to weep needed to change that

-bellow -10c I would get the cold clatter start up, with 5W20 OR 5W30, and various oil filter types, use of the block heater solved this issue

-I did move away from 5W20 TO 5W30 to help with consumption......after the rebuild I settled into 900 ml of oil consumption for every 5000KM driven. Mostly DD on the highway

I I think of more I post up. No regrets, never left me stranded, always fired right up....heck how many Caravans have the same mill and get used and abused and still on the road today

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Transmission lines weep oil where they switch from rubber to steel. Very front of the vehicle left hand side.

Sent from my duck blind.

Last edited:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
This is a great list. If I were to buy used I would take an inexpensive obd2 code reader. Turning the key gives you the active codes but some dishonest dealers could just clear them before you come in. A scanner lets you read when the codes were cleared and can give you a lot of easy to read info on really how your engine is running.

BumblebeeZA

This is a great list. If I were to buy used I would take an inexpensive obd2 code reader. Turning the key gives you the active codes but some dishonest dealers could just clear them before you come in. A scanner lets you read when the codes were cleared and can give you a lot of easy to read info on really how your engine is running.

Yes good tip!

Here in South Africa you can pic up a cheap bluetooth one for like R150 (equivalent to +- $1 US)

BumblebeeZA

Just want to add to the list, that a friend of mine bought a Rubicon recently and had a couple of issues relating to spark, I advised him to change around cables to rule out the cable then to swop around plugs to rule out plugs, found 1 plug not working properly. (Supposedly serviced at 96 000km's)

Eventually he took his Jeep to another dealer to get an overall check and found that the chassis and axles have been welded in multiple places, most likely due to a HEAVY crash!

So Id like to add to please check your chassis and axles for any funny welding!

Top Bottom