What is this Manual Transmission noise?

JethroJK

Here is background info:

2012 JKUR, 15K miles, noise since 2K miles. Manual transmission. Dealership: normal "Jeep" noise (not buying it)

If anyone has an idea what this noise is or how to get rid of it please let me know.

Much appreciated. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is this noise?

Couldn't hear it as we'll as I would prefer but, it sounds a lot like the new 2011 manual tranny that I recently had installed. It's annoying and something I've never heard on my 2007 tranny.

MTG

Caught the Bug
What is this noise?

Wow! The chattering noise? Is it all gears or just one?

JethroJK

Wow! The chattering noise? Is it all gears or just one?

It is mainly in 2 and 3. But I can also get it to do it in 4. It use to make it only about 20% of the time but now about 80% of the time. Mainly during acceleration but starting to be constant.

REALLY annoying. Here is another video.

This video is the same noise but in a different harmonic, more knocking.

Jchet729

I've got a 2012 that I've got almost 8000 on now and haven't heard anything like that out of mine, sounds simple but to satisfy yourself crawl under and check for leaks and fluid level. Sometimes the manufacturers forget one, my mom had a new front diff put in her expedition cause they didn't fill it properly

JethroJK

I've got a 2012 that I've got almost 8000 on now and haven't heard anything like that out of mine, sounds simple but to satisfy yourself crawl under and check for leaks and fluid level. Sometimes the manufacturers forget one, my mom had a new front diff put in her expedition cause they didn't fill it properly

That was one of the first things I did when I first got the noise. I have check it periodically and no leaks and level is fine. Even the dealership looked into the noise and they found nothing "abnormal" they said. Performance is not affected, it is just a noise that is hard to live with. Additionally I am afraid that after factory warranty runs out, the tranny falls out and I am stuck with cost.

I guess it could be considered a mod. :rock:

Jchet729

That was one of the first things I did when I first got the noise. I have check it periodically and no leaks and level is fine. Even the dealership looked into the noise and they found nothing "abnormal" they said. Performance is not affected, it is just a noise that is hard to live with. Additionally I am afraid that after factory warranty runs out, the tranny falls out and I am stuck with cost.

I guess it could be considered a mod. :rock:

How far to the next dealership? Or a good recommended pvt shop, some shops are certified to perform wty work. I wouldn't necessarily just take the word of them telling you it's fine, keep in mind they don't make any $$ on the wty work but you'll pay out the ass to have them fix it if the wty is up.... I've got a buddy that is a Chrysler service writer, I'll send him a text and get his thoughts on it

JethroJK

I've got a buddy that is a Chrysler service writer, I'll send him a text and get his thoughts on it

Thanks! There is another dealership here, I just haven't taken it over there but that is a good point. Maybe next week I will call and make an appt to see what they say.

dchew

Caught the Bug
I have exactly the same sound as your third clip in my manual 2013 JKUR. It occurs in 2-4 gears right around 2000 rpm. I took it to the dealership and they told me they thought it was normal, but they also did not have another manual to compare it to. The are supposed to call me when they get another manual in. They will invite me in to test drive it together.

My problem is I have a window of opportunity to start my build, which is now. so today I started ripping things off and it will be on a lift for 2-4 weeks.

Dave

JethroJK

I have exactly the same sound as your third clip in my manual 2013 JKUR. It occurs in 2-4 gears right around 2000 rpm. I took it to the dealership and they told me they thought it was normal, but they also did not have another manual to compare it to. The are supposed to call me when they get another manual in. They will invite me in to test drive it together.

My problem is I have a window of opportunity to start my build, which is now. so today I started ripping things off and it will be on a lift for 2-4 weeks.

Dave

Yup :yup:, I got the same from my dealership but I am going to try the other dealership across town to see what they say. According to the service guy that rode with me, he said that the transmission is a German design which they are finding is a different beast. After much troubleshooting, they said it was normal. But it doesn't sound normal to me...

Thanks for the info.

Jchet729

It may be different yes.. but it still sounds off... I just got back from a drive and I paid extra attention.. the only thing I hear is just a slight mesh whine.. you've got a definite chatter to yours, wouldn't think you'd have clutch chatter like that just driving but it could be something else to investigate....

JethroJK

It may be different yes.. but it still sounds off... I just got back from a drive and I paid extra attention.. the only thing I hear is just a slight mesh whine.. you've got a definite chatter to yours, wouldn't think you'd have clutch chatter like that just driving but it could be something else to investigate....

Clutch chatter is another avenue, honestly I was really pursuing it but after the stealership told me on the 4th attempt "normal" noise, I lost motivation. I have now rested and I am ready to restart the fight!! :thumb:

Tomorrow I am going to make an appointment at the other dealership across town. I am not going to mention ever taking to the other dealership and see what they say.

What is the best way to investigate clutch chatter on my own? Never had to deal with that...:thinking:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
What is this noise?

Interesting sound. I have a nasty Throwout bearing squeal when my rig is cold, but this sounds completely different.

dchew

Caught the Bug
The sound I have is similar to missing a cylinder, or like a two-stroke motor right around 2000 rpm. It feels smooth though, and it does not affect power. I do think it is on the input side of the transmission since it is always the same rpm regardless of gear.

I think it occurs in 1st gear too but it is very hard to detect because in first there is very little time in that 1800-2100 rpm range. Definitely associated with accelerating, and may be worse with a bigger load like going up a hill or more weight in the Jeep.

Dave

JethroJK

The sound I have is similar to missing a cylinder, or like a two-stroke motor right around 2000 rpm.

The noise I am having is definitely something in the transmission area I believe. I have listened to the engine at idle and there is no abnormal noise. Also mine does it through acceleration but it will also continue at steady speed. In someways it sounds like a hanger or mount is vibrating.

I will take it to the other dealer and if they do not do anything, then I guess it is wait until it blows up time. :thumb:

Jchet729

Kinda sounds like it could be a bearing running loose too. I'm curious to hear what it actually is, be sure to post findings. Oh and good plan on not saying anything about previous efforts with that other dealership. There's all kinds of stories about differences between dealers...

JethroJK

What is this noise?

Kinda sounds like it could be a bearing running loose too. I'm curious to hear what it actually is, be sure to post findings. Oh and good plan on not saying anything about previous efforts with that other dealership. There's all kinds of stories about differences between dealers...

Sure thing, I will post findings later this week.

SoCalDozer

The sounds is "normal" is not a satisfactory answer for me from the dealership. that is just what they say when they dont want to do the work.
I took mine in because of the 2012 ticking noise and they tried this oh that's normal crap and that they could look at it but it would take awhile to take it apart and they wouldnt offer me a loaner. I was leaving for deployment at the time so I did not have time to fight with them but after all the controversy about the pentastar heads It should be much easier once I return.

Basically though if you dont feel comfortable with the noise they have to look at it.

Top Bottom