Axle shafts

silverbullet88

I am curious about everyone's opinion's on axle shafts. Specifically Dana 44 Rubicon front axle shafts and running 35" tire's.

Are they just a ticking time bomb like some make it sound?

How long have some of you run stock with no issues?

Any recommendations for after market shafts? I found an awesome deal on Dana spicer 1350 shafts.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

I've got 92,000 miles on my Rubi and the last 40k with 35's and no issues so far. I've gusseted the c's and replaced the tie rod/drag link but that's it. I've run it pretty hard through the desert and multiple trips to through Arizona and Utah which include two different trips to Moab with mostly red trails. The only issues I've had are ball joints and unit bearings. My jku eats those things up!
Just know the limitations of yourself and your rig and if your don't make dumb mistakes/decisions it won't let you down!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know back when I was on my d30 I was on the shafts for all of maybe 30,000 miles (10-12k on 35's) and my front driverside u joint blew up while wheeling. We were in about 6" of soft snow and just on a normal flat turn it blew. Had to end my day early.
IMG_7070.JPG

I suggest finding maybe a spare set on Craigslist or something to have just in case. Better to be safe than sorry

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
I know back when I was on my d30 I was on the shafts for all of maybe 30,000 miles (10-12k on 35's) and my front driverside u joint blew up while wheeling. We were in about 6" of soft snow and just on a normal flat turn it blew. Had to end my day early.
View attachment 232138

I suggest finding maybe a spare set on Craigslist or something to have just in case. Better to be safe than sorry

This is good advice. Run stock but have spares until or if you change out the entire assembly.

silverbullet88

View attachment 232138

6" of snow? Ahh that's the worst! I love snow wheeling.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Not much on Craigslist around here. (Northern California)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am curious about everyone's opinion's on axle shafts. Specifically Dana 44 Rubicon front axle shafts and running 35" tire's.

Are they just a ticking time bomb like some make it sound?

How long have some of you run stock with no issues?

Any recommendations for after market shafts? I found an awesome deal on Dana spicer 1350 shafts.

Thoughts?

If you're gonna break a shaft, your driver side will be the first to go. Running 37's, I lost mine within 14,000 miles. That being said, I had well over 80,000 miles on my factory passenger side shaft before replacing it but still carry it around as a spare.

Most any chromoly shaft with full circle clips will get the job done and well.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you're gonna break a shaft, your driver side will be the first to go. Running 37's, I lost mine within 14,000 miles. That being said, I had well over 80,000 miles on my factory passenger side shaft before replacing it but still carry it around as a spare.

Yup my break was my driver side as well.

Sorry for the rookie question but why does the drivers side shit the bed first? Is it just because that's the side that gets the torque transfer before the passenger side?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the rookie question but why does the drivers side shit the bed first? Is it just because that's the side that gets the torque transfer before the passenger side?

Because it's so short. The length of the passenger side shaft allows it to absorb a greater amount of shock.

GraniteCrystal

If it breaks, can you just pull the shaft and run a 3 wheeled Jeep?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it breaks, can you just pull the shaft and run a 3 wheeled Jeep?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Yes but you'll want to plug your axle tube with a rag or something to help keep crap out of the diff and really, you should run 2WD from that point on. Failure to do that will most likely result in a 2nd blown shaft.

silverbullet88

Yes but you'll want to plug your axle tube with a rag or something to help keep crap out of the diff and really, you should run 2WD from that point on. Failure to do that will most likely result in a 2nd blown shaft.

Sounds like I'll run the stockers and keep and eye out for some spares. Maybe some chromoly shafts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like I'll run the stockers and keep and eye out for some spares. Maybe some chromoly shafts.

That's what I did. In fact, when I blew out my driver side shaft, I just replaced it with a used chromoly shaft with full circle clip. No need to be buying parts you don't really need. Of course, that's just me. :cool:

Ajkaz

I've been running my oem front 44's for 108K miles on my 07 JKR... Not a daily driver all wheeling or just for fun miles.
IIRC roughly:
30K stock tires
74K 35's
4K 37's

It really depends on your individual experience and driving style. I do all my own maintenance/work so I know the shafts and joints are in good condition. I'm usually easy on the skinny pedal but enjoy the harder lines and gravitate towards tougher trails. I'm currently debating a front aftermarket 44 w. RCVs or an Ultimate 60 and sell the front housing complete, I think I've pressed my luck far enough.

WJCO

Meme King
I've been running my oem front 44's for 108K miles on my 07 JKR... Not a daily driver all wheeling or just for fun miles.
IIRC roughly:
30K stock tires
74K 35's
4K 37's

It really depends on your individual experience and driving style. I do all my own maintenance/work so I know the shafts and joints are in good condition. I'm usually easy on the skinny pedal but enjoy the harder lines and gravitate towards tougher trails. I'm currently debating a front aftermarket 44 w. RCVs or an Ultimate 60 and sell the front housing complete, I think I've pressed my luck far enough.

I would highly recommend Dynatrac if you're doing the axle swap.

Top Bottom