Spare Parts? Anyone carry them on trips?

vitodivita

Hey all,

Curious if you guys carry any spare parts when on an extended wheeling trip, say driveshafts, things of that nature? Anything you'd recommend?

Bonus question; stock jack is useless, what size of bottle jack would I need to lift a Jeep on 37's to change out a flat tire?

While I've gone on quite a few trips, I've never really prepared for the worst, and it's already happened this past summer when I blew up a driveshaft and ended up getting towed after I tried to fight it for a few hours..

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Always bring spare parts. I usually carry a rear DS, rear axle shaft, rear control arm, fluids, and that's usually about it.

As far as the jack goes, get a 3 ton bottle jack and carry some 2x4 blocks with you to prop it up and stabilize it

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I bring a spare driveshaft. Plus I have an AEV jack stand and hi lift. And my toolbox.
I've used all of them before. Always just trying to be easy on the skinny pedal

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hey all,

Curious if you guys carry any spare parts when on an extended wheeling trip, say driveshafts, things of that nature? Anything you'd recommend?

Bonus question; stock jack is useless, what size of bottle jack would I need to lift a Jeep on 37's to change out a flat tire?

While I've gone on quite a few trips, I've never really prepared for the worst, and it's already happened this past summer when I blew up a driveshaft and ended up getting towed after I tried to fight it for a few hours..

Carry fluid. All fluids. I'll elaborate shortly in another thread.

GraniteCrystal

Always bring spare parts. I usually carry a rear DS, rear axle shaft, rear control arm, fluids, and that's usually about it.

As far as the jack goes, get a 3 ton bottle jack and carry some 2x4 blocks with you to prop it up and stabilize it
Stock or aftermarket rear DS? Easy to find on CL? Seems like a good idea

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Stock or aftermarket rear DS? Easy to find on CL? Seems like a good idea

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

I carry a stock one for now but I have an aftermarket one that needs to be shortened a few inches and then I can carry that one instead.

I would rather drive off the trail with no front DS than try to drive off and home with no rear DS which is why I carry a rear shaft and not a front

Ddays

Hooked
rear axle shaft

^^This, along with other spare parts. Not many think about this, but if you wheel a long way from home this could be the difference between driving home or being up the creek. I almost didn't take my spare on a trip to Rausch. Glad I did. My flange got bent so bad the wheel looked like one of those clown cars with the wonky wheels. I won't go on a trip without it now.

chitown35

LOSER
What I take, even for a day trip since it's still a bit of a drive:
Fluids
Tools, including ratchet straps, some wire, torque wrench, spare bolts
Driveshafts
A couple control arms
A couple shocks
A 50 cent t case shifter bushing I always see people complain about breaking
Spare ds joint

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, FLUIDS. You can remove, replace and fix just about everything else or get by without it but you can't make or gerry rig fluids. Aside from that, if there is just one part I could carry, it'd be a sector shaft.

JeepJeep75

As mentioned, FLUIDS. You can remove, replace and fix just about everything else or get by without it but you can't make or gerry rig fluids. Aside from that, if there is just one part I could carry, it'd be a sector shaft.

Eddie, I've seen you mention this before. Is a sector shaft replaceable on the trail without specialized tools? Or would it be better to lug around a whole steering box?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Eddie, I've seen you mention this before. Is a sector shaft replaceable on the trail without specialized tools? Or would it be better to lug around a whole steering box?

You can't replace just the shaft with the newer Delphi boxes. All you need is the correct sockets and a pitman arm puller. Besides that an impact makes things a lot easier and you'll need fluid.

JeepJeep75

You can't replace just the shaft with the newer Delphi boxes. All you need is the correct sockets and a pitman arm puller. Besides that an impact makes things a lot easier and you'll need fluid.

Good to know! [emoji106] I'm gonna start building up my spare parts bag/box. Is it safe to assume that my '15 has a Delphi box in it? Or is the Delphi the newer replacement box sold by parts suppliers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know! [emoji106] I'm gonna start building up my spare parts bag/box. Is it safe to assume that my '15 has a Delphi box in it? Or is the Delphi the newer replacement box sold by parts suppliers?

Delphi boxes ONLY came on 2007-10 JK's. Anything newer has the china box and there are NO replacement shafts you can get for it. Or, at least that I know of.

JeepJeep75

Just had a look at new steering boxes. The prices..... yikes![emoji33] If I were to try and source one from a junkyard, strictly for a spare to get me off the trail, will any year work? Or do I need to look for an '11 or newer for my 2015?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Just had a look at new steering boxes. The prices..... yikes![emoji33] If I were to try and source one from a junkyard, strictly for a spare to get me off the trail, will any year work? Or do I need to look for an '11 or newer for my 2015?
Any of them will work 07-17. Same patterns etc just different suppliers. If u manage to get a delphi as a spare then in future can get spare shaft if it becims your primary. Just make sure you get the 2 door or 4 door one, the box ratios are slightly different.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Pardon my ignorance, but if you break a rear driveshaft, why can't you remove it and run in 4hi and get home in front wheel drive? Will the fluid blow out of the transfer case from the missing shaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pardon my ignorance, but if you break a rear driveshaft, why can't you remove it and run in 4hi and get home in front wheel drive? Will the fluid blow out of the transfer case from the missing shaft?

Assuming you're already off the trail, there is no reason why you couldn't do this. In fact, I have done it and on more than one occasion. It's getting off the trail without 4WD that can be tricky.

Top Bottom