Dual purpose rig... 35 or 37's?

SJCJK

I have been agonizing over my build for too long. Time to request some opinions. I want to build my JK up to do sand dunes and rocks.

It seems like 35's and a 3" EVO Enforcer is the way to go, with the drag link flip. Leaning towards beadlocks, Machetes. And Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Want to get my order to TJ this weekend.

Help?! Opinions? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
For right now, I would say 35s. With 37s to do it "right" it would be better to also regear. You could still clear the 37s with the same lift and trimmed fender flares or flat fenders so in the future you could still go to 37s if you wanted. I would also want better brakes with 37s and aftermarket wheels. Not that gearing or bigger brakes would be required, they would just be really nice. Hell, you could probably still benefit from a regear and brakes depending on what you have now. The 35s would be just more forgiving.

I'm running 35s on my rubi and so far I really like it. Though I want 37s sometime. I feel like my current set up works really great for what I use the jeep for.

SJCJK

Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm thinking - balance and ease into the major spend.

Just looking for more opinions / things I haven't thought of. Don't want to redo stuff.

I have a 3.6 with 4.10's / JKUR.

BigBoy

I vote 35's as well. I am building mine right now for sand use and sticking to 35's although going with more of an all terrain tire as they tend to do better in sand based on previous experience.

bonedaddy

I have an invoive going with TJ now as well ... I have a 2016 JKU HR w/4:10's and Its my daily driver ...

I am doing 4" Enforcer, Fox Performance 2.0s, Draglink Flip, gussets and debating the Machete BLs as well ... going to order the Drive shaft from Adams and going to be running Cooper Discovery Pro 37's ... just need to convince myself just to go with the Machete BL's or the non ...

That's my plan...

SJCJK

Thanks all. Good input. I'm not crazy!

It sounds like the Coopers are really good but doesn't seem like my local Americas tire carries them. Will call tomorrow.

I hadn't heard of AT being better for sand... will have to research that.

I like the sounds of the Rancho 9000's adjustability. But the remote resevoir on the fox's seems like it'd be nice at speed. Kings are nice too... but man $.

werks

Deciding between 35's and 37's ultimately I think really comes down to honestly asking your self how much money you want to put into your JKU? It's a question that I asked my self also and being in N. CA where it looks like you are also I figured that I will be using it in rocks etc. so reliability when being out on trails is a major concern for me. Doing that with 35's you can sort of get away with a mostly stockish build and a lift kit knowing you will ultimately break something or bend your axles. Going to the added weight of 37's and considering that you will now probably be a lot more prone to taking on obstacles that looked daunting with smaller tires too lol led me to feel that in order to do things correctly not only did I need to re-gear like with 35's but I also needed to upgrade my front axle to a PR44, go with 1350 drive shafts, get upgraded axle shafts, look into big brake kits for improved stopping power etc. etc. So in my case it opened me up to having to consider doing a whole lot of upgrades in advance that I probably could have put off doing if I had just gone with 35's. I may be a little different than others though but I'm the type of guy that likes to spend a little bit more in advance to do things right and only have to buy something once (even though with the PR44 I see some 60's in my future :doh:). I've slowly but surely been collecting parts over the last year and should be ready to finally get everything installed in the next few months but again that is with me trying to do 37's imho the right way for rock crawling.

zimm

Caught the Bug
37's are better, but the $$$ for 1 more inch under the pumpkins probably isn't worth it.

I've been running 35's for over a year and 13000 miles with 4.10s and it's fine. Now that I'm towing a camper, I'm going to 4.88's.

At Rausch creek offroad park, 5 of the 6 jeeps in my group were on 35's. One was on 37's and 4.88 gears. The only difference in the rocks we noticed was that he didn't scrape his front lower control arm mounts like we all did when coming down off large rocks. So sometimes that extra inch helps.

Mine's a daily driver, so 35's it is. Duratracs are also only something like 6 pounds heavier than a stock rubicon tire.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
When you go 37's a lot more needs to be considered when building your jeep like gears, axles, drive shafts, etc. 35's are always a great starting point and that can be achieved a lot cheaper and still accomplish a heck of a lot

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What cozdude said ^^^

If you have the money and are even thinking about 37's, that would be what I would recommend BUT - if you're working on a budget, there's nothing wrong with 35's. In fact, they're a perfect size tire for a JK and really, what they should have come with from the factory. I've run them and can tell you that they'll take you just about anywhere you want to go including the Rubicon.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I have about 10,000 miles left on my 35s. Love to do 37s but smart thing would be to get another set of 35s and maybe have axles upgraded before I wear out another set.

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

SJCJK

You guys rock! (Pun intended... cheesy). I think I will go 35's with beadlocks. Do the bumpers and all the protection. Enjoy it. Wheel it. Down the road if I want 37's then I do it and PR44 and still use my 5x5 beadlocks. Hardly any wasted money. And keep the home front in order while doing it... hopefully.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You guys rock! (Pun intended... cheesy). I think I will go 35's with beadlocks. Do the bumpers and all the protection. Enjoy it. Wheel it. Down the road if I want 37's then I do it and PR44 and still use my 5x5 beadlocks. Hardly any wasted money. And keep the home front in order while doing it... hopefully.

That's what I did. Did everything needed for 37's first while I still run 35's. gears, pr44, beadlocks, DS's, and just now ordered dynatrac pro grips to help me stop lol

SJCJK

That's what I did. Did everything needed for 37's first while I still run 35's. gears, pr44, beadlocks, DS's, and just now ordered dynatrac pro grips to help me stop lol

@cozdude... Thanks! I see you have the big daddy tire carrier on order with your 37's and skins. Did you use the factory tire carrier (with isolaters) until now, for 35's.

Thanks again all. Not too many expert Jeepers in Nor Cal / Bay Area that I have met yet.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
@cozdude... Thanks! I see you have the big daddy tire carrier on order with your 37's and skins. Did you use the factory tire carrier (with isolaters) until now, for 35's.

Thanks again all. Not too many expert Jeepers in Nor Cal / Bay Area that I have met yet.

No I have the or-fab tire carrier that I installed but you can run the factory carrier and diy isolators for a long time if you like.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Im running 35s. Have talked myself off the 37's ledge numerous times, because when you start with teh 37+ inch tires, the mods get much more serious, and seriously more expensive. You'll have to upgrade your axles/housing, regear, etc....it gets pricy, and quick. It looks amazing, it performs even better offroad, but it's the next level of $$$. Furthermore, large tires do come with penalties, of added cost, garage clearance, weight, warranty claims, etc. For a mostly street driven rig, 35s are a great compromise, as they give you 90% of the big boy performance, but with excellent road manners and comfort.

chitown35

LOSER
I'm going to tell you that if you're thinking about 37s now, you won't be happy with 35s later. You could build a great dual purpose rig with either, just depends on $$$. Anyway, that's one of the reasons I went with a sport when I ordered.

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

Top Bottom