Cruise control

Wild Hare

I have a stock 2015 unlimited sport w/ auto. First long road trip was this weekend. Was using cruise control and it disengaged twice on its own. Both times was on the initial ascent at the start of a bridge/overpass. Seemed like it turned off as trans was changing gears. Is this common for this year? Thoughts? Asking here before I deal with dealer.

Happy Thanksgiving

meljr

I've seen this in other vehicles

When I purchased my JKU new in 2008, it was the basic X model with no cruise or power windows, which was just what I was looking for as I planned to mod it extensively. I had the Mopar accessories cruise control, which looks to be the same as the factory version, installed by the dealer and am quite pleased.

For some time now, it is my understanding that factory engineered cruise control systems actively monitor vehicle dynamics when cruise is activated and will disengage the system if certain parameters are exceeded. The can include sharp turns at speed and steep inclines or declines. In the old days, this was done with a simple sensor like a pendulum; do something to move it too far off center and it starts shutting things down. On one of my current vehicles (not the JK), cruise control will not engage over 85MPH.

I suspect, one of the sensors is out of adjustment, but I wouldn't know how to go about diagnosing, adjusting or fixing it given the degree to which modern vehicle electronics seemed to be closed systems these days. This may be something best addressed by the dealer and hopefully, under warranty.

Good luck,

-meljr

Last edited:

WW_Svi

My 2016 jku will always shut off the cc on an overpass on the interstate I drive on. I came to the conclusion that it was caused by a bump... due to the speed of the vehicle and tire pressure. My guess is that the traction control system stepped in and shuts down the cc. If I go slower or have lower tire pressure then I don't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
cruise control will kick off once it shifts down and or starts hunting for gears, happens on my 2010 and 2015. you could try locking out OD but IMO it's better to kick off the cruise control when making an ascent to avoid it from kicking down too much gear and locking into it causing the engine to rev up too fast.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
cruise control cuts off on long ascents if your speed drops by more then approx 6%. It does that with the manual and auto diesels so it should happen on the V6's....imho.

chitown35

LOSER
A family member of mine's did this, the dealer did some repair and fixed it under warranty.

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

Top Bottom