Hello from Colorado

GearHead71

I have been lurking for a while and finally joined today. I have a 2014 JKU WW with the 6 speed. It is my daily driver and we go on mild trails 4 or 5 times a year. I am trying to do sort of a budget/practical build to keep it a good daily driver but capable enough for the little bit of wheeling we do.

I got it with a hard top, the 430 radio, and side airbags and so far have added:
Supertop NX
Spiderweb shade
Dirty dog nets
Bartact seat covers
Ace sliders
Bestop 2 piece sift doors
Back up camera
Removed the carpet

My stock bfg km tires are about shot so I've been trying to decide what to do next. I'm installing a teraflex 1.5 inch leveling kit and Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers in the next month or so and I've gone back and fourth about a million times on either:

1. 285/70/17 duratracs
2. 315/70/17 duratracs and trimming my fenders

I mentioned doing a "practical" build and (for me) there's really nothing practical about the 315s. The 285s and leveling kit will get me everywhere I need to go. But the 315s sure look good!! The problem with the 315s is I have to trim the fenders, trim the stock Rubicon rock rails, buy a procal, reinforce the tailgate (eventually), and there will be some performance and mpg loss. Plus I think the 285s will do better in the snow.

The thing I'm afraid of is getting the 285s and 2 weeks later wishing I got the 315s.

To many decisions! (But that's whats fun about a Jeep.)

Couple pictures:

20160806_171429.jpg

20160806_171450.jpg

20160505_152116.jpg

20160522_161019.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GearHead71

Welcome from Denver! If you haven't bought the leveling kit, may want to check out the Evo leveling kit too. Lots of guys here run it and love the ride.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404
I've been reading a bunch on this forum today and have heard people running it over and over. I'll have to look into it more. I've been on wranglerforum.com for a while and had rarely, if ever heard of it. Everyone seems to do either the teraflex puck leveling kit or the teraflex performance leveling kit over there.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Coop

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL from Ohio! Good looking rig!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Welcome to WAL from PA! Man you Colorado guys need to stop posting up all of those propaganda photos of your state. :misery:
Beautiful out there. As far as the tires go, When have you ever heard a Jeep owner utter this sentence? "Man, I wish I had smaller tires!"
Not once. Ever.

Trimming the fenders and rail is simple. If you don't like the look afterwards pick up a set of takeoff flares on craigslist cheap & put the
smaller tires on next time you need them. :idontknow:

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome from just up north. We run 285 Duratracs on the wife's rig with no lift. We did trim the fenders. Not discouraging you from buying the BB kit, but you may be able to save some money. Good luck.

DSC04110.jpg

GearHead71

Welcome from just up north. We run 285 Duratracs on the wife's rig with no lift. We did trim the fenders. Not discouraging you from buying the BB kit, but you may be able to save some money. Good luck.

View attachment 232949
Those look really good! This is what I need to see to get me to go the "practical" route. Great looking rig.

WJCO

Meme King
Those look really good! This is what I need to see to get me to go the "practical" route. Great looking rig.

Thanks. It is a DD, so she didn't want to do anything too extreme but still wanted a 'modified' look. We both also figured if we could get by without lifting it, we would.

Andy5160

Hooked
Welcome to WAL. I suggest you do more research prior to making your move onto Teraflex. There are better choices out there so do your home work. In regards to the tires judging by the threads here on the forum most guys regret they did not choose bigger once!
Good luck

GearHead71

Welcome to WAL. I suggest you do more research prior to making your move onto Teraflex. There are better choices out there so do your home work. In regards to the tires judging by the threads here on the forum most guys regret they did not choose bigger once!
Good luck
Thanks. I've actually researched quite a bit and haven't heard anything bad about the teraflex 1.5 inch leveling kit (pucks). As far as a leveling kit goes anyway. Obviously there are better solutions for lifts but for 150 bucks it's hard to beat. What should I know about that leveling kit? I really am curious.

I really just want something small to fit a little bit larger tire.

Thanks!

Top Bottom