VIDEO : Exploring Nevada's Explosive Past - Lunar Crater & Project Faultless

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much right in the middle of the State of Nevada and about half way between the towns of Tonopah and Ely, there lies two off-road destinations about 20 miles apart and both of which were created by massive explosions. The first is a huge bowl shaped hole in the ground known as the Lunar Crater and the second is the location of a nuclear test site known as, Project Faultless. In this short video, you'll get to follow us on our adventure to explore these two, unique to Nevada sites, with our good friends Tony and Stephanie and in our trusty little Jeep Renegades.

This is the first in a series of new short videos we hope to produce highlighting the rich history and the amazing places you can see in our beautiful state or, what we like to refer to as, Nevada's Silver Lining. We hope that you enjoy our presentation.

Special thanks goes out to our good friends Tony and Stephanie for helping us to film the footage that you see in this video.

benatc1

Hooked
Cool video, need to add these stops to the list of things to check out. so many interesting things out there in Nevada. oh and all that dust looked like it just wrecked you Tony!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Awesome little feature! Crazy to see how much the elevation dropped. You couldn't even really tell until you pointed it out

JeepFan

Hooked
That was such a fun adventure! We really need to get back out there and do some more exploring!

Especially since our little Renegade mowed down all the sage brush in the middle of the trail! [emoji38]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. Man, I need to move.

LOL!! Well, if nothing else, you need to come out and visit for sure :yup:

Amazing film yet again. Your vieos make me so excited to finish school and find an opportunity out that way... Such beautiful country.

It isn't for everyone but we sure love it out here!

Cool video, need to add these stops to the list of things to check out. so many interesting things out there in Nevada. oh and all that dust looked like it just wrecked you Tony!!

:cheesy: Glad to hear you watched until the very end :D

Awesome little feature! Crazy to see how much the elevation dropped. You couldn't even really tell until you pointed it out

It really is totally nuts. What's even crazier is that just shy of a thousand feet below your feet, there's 500,000 metric tons of highly radioactive rubble with radiation levels close to that of a nuclear reactor :shock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video!
Cool places you saw too.

Thanks! There really are some amazing things to see out there but gas or the lack there of is something you REALLY need to be concerned with :crazyeyes:

That was such a fun adventure! We really need to get back out there and do some more exploring!

Especially since our little Renegade mowed down all the sage brush in the middle of the trail! [emoji38]

:cheesy: It was a great trip for sure and we definitely need to get back out there before all the grass grows back :D

Good to see another video. Looks like a fun adventure.

Thanks, we're glad you enjoyed it :yup:

Great clip of history. The elevation change from the detonation is astounding!

What's really astounding is that the devastating geological damage from the test included the creation of several new deep faults and that it led to the cancellation of the entire project. :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
VIDEO : Exploring Nevada's Explosive Past - Lunar Crater & Project Faultless

It really is totally nuts. What's even crazier is that just shy of a thousand feet below your feet, there's 500,000 metric tons of highly radioactive rubble with radiation levels close to that of a nuclear reactor :shock:

Holy hell! That's crazy! I wonder what the half life on that area underneath is? I know as of recently chernoble hit a level where it's semi safe to go in with full protection. Makes me wonder if anyone would be willing to explore the tube and underneath

any4xx

I had no idea you could drive out to the test site. My dad was there when they set it off. I really need to get out there. Thanks for the video!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy hell! That's crazy! I wonder what the half life on that area underneath is? I know as of recently chernoble hit a level where it's semi safe to go in with full protection. Makes me wonder if anyone would be willing to explore the tube and underneath

Honestly, there are signs everywhere that specifically warn against digging or collecting of rocks in the area. I'd really like to get a geiger counter and go out there again just to see how radioactive it is :crazyeyes:

Awesome video! I need to drive out there and check it out myself. Keep up the great work.

Thank you, we're so glad that you enjoyed it and enough so that you now want to visit these sites :cool:

That was really great!

Thank you :)

I had no idea you could drive out to the test site. My dad was there when they set it off. I really need to get out there. Thanks for the video!

Well, this particular test was conducted outside of the Nevada Test Site. That's where "most" of the nuclear tests were conducted.

Top Bottom