What Auto Insurance Do You Have?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back when Cindy and I lived in SoCal, we had a great company called Wawanesa insure us and we absolutely loved them. They provided great coverage, had great service and without question, had the lowest price bar none. Unfortunately, they only insure vehicles in California and so after moving to Nevada, we've had to switch insurance companies and now have AAA. While they are a good company and offer a pretty good price, I haven't exactly been thrilled with their service. In fact, I've recently tried getting information about bundling my auto insurance with my home owners insurance and felt it was like pulling teeth. I also tried contacting State Farm who covers our home for a fair price but they kept on trying to up sell me on auto insurance and that was kind of annoying.

Long story short, I'd love to hear who you guys use for insurance and are you happy with them? Thanks :cool:

CastleRockJeep

I have Nation Wide. So far they are good at taking my money as I haven't had a claim. I went to them from Geico because their homeowners, with that same coverage, was about half of what I was paying Farmers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Met life Auto and home has been good for us. Great price and service. Never had to deal with them on a home claim but did with 2 vehicle claims and couldn't have gone better IMO.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My Dad had State Farm, for years, and so did I. The biggest trouble with them, is getting them to pay, both on a homeowner claim, and auto claim. Dad says they've changed a lot, over the years. I dropped them, when the rate on my home was going to nearly quadruple.

I have the same homeowner policy from Progressive, for half of what I was paying State Farm, and my automobiles are with them, too. I hit a deer, in 2010, in a Silverado, so hard it knocked the door open. They paid up quickly, with no problem. My folks had to file a homeowner claim, when a pipe burst, and although Mother had to dicker with them over how much they were paying for one of the bathrooms, it went fairly smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

I've had AAA since I started driving at 16. When I was younger they were pretty cool about me be late on my bill, (oh, to be young again!) sometimes I was without insurance for a week but they always picked me right back up when I did finally pay my bill. I was lucky and only had a few small mishaps, no major wreaks. I bought a '73 Vette when I was 23 and they were very reasonable about it. A few years later I got rear-ended by an illegal, uninsured lady. AAA told me I could take the car anywhere I wanted for repair. It wound up costing about 10k to repair as I insisted on genuine GM parts. Again, AAA didn't even bat an eye. My rate went up a tiny bit, but after I turned 25 it fell by more than half! Fast forward to now and I still have AAA and still love them. A few years back, I backed into a Mercedes in my driveway. The lady driving and her passenger both tried to sue my insurance and lost. I never had to do more than the initial report to them. That right there made the last 25 years of me paying them worth it. I never have to wonder with them if I'll be covered or not.

meljr

USAA since 1972

My dad was a career Army officer in the 50s - 60s and started with USAA when he bought his first car in 1956. He has been with them ever since. In 1972, I was able to get USAA insurance even though I was not an officer as USAA continued to winden their customer base. Today, my children and grandchildren qualify, even though none of them had military service, so I expect USAA is more open than ever to new customers.

Overall, my experience has been positive and over the years, many have tried, but no other insurance company has come close to their rates, including a recent quote from Country. We have had a few claims over the years and their service has been reasonable.

All my Jeeps are currently insured through USAA and they helped me get coverage for my collectible vehicles (Viper and Spitfire) through American Collector's and our RV and motorcycles through Progressive.

All in all, if you qualify for membership, USAA is a good choice.

-meljr

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I need to make a few calls. Unfortunately, it's near impossible to get an online quote for anything older than a vehicle made in 1981 and being that I have 4 of them, that hasn't been helping anything. :rolleyes2:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
X3 for USAA. A couple years ago the day before I left to come home from work there was a big hailstorm in Hutchinson Kansas that did a lot of damage, my car included to the tune of $9400. The next morning I had to go to the airport to come home so my car was at the airport in Wichita. The adjuster went there and did the inspection, called me to let me know it was done and sent me a quote. I was impressed they didn't want to wait until I came back, instead he walked thru the parking lot until he found my car and did it there. In my opinion that's pretty good service.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

I know I'm a little late but USAA +1 no hassles and prices are very competitive. I will say to be wary of Geico. I found out the hard way they don't cover you, your vehicle or passengers if you are using your vehicle for charity or church functions. Unless they changed their policy in the last 10 years, I expect that not to have changed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I also will add that metlife agreed to add the new WJ axle to the policy and increase the value of the asset so if I ever were to get in a wreck, it wouldn't total out for just the value of a basic vehicle. I won't do it until it installed, but it was comforting knowing they would do it, they just need copies of the receipt.

rogerk93

I have state farm and I'm very happy with them. They had the best price for full coverage and they cover modifications as long as you have the receipts for everything. I had Geico prior and they got expensive and claimed to only promise 4k in aftermarket parts.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'm just curious, how do insurance companies handle mis-haps that occur on the trail, say a blown radiator because you hit a tree?

Top Bottom