Clunck in Right Front End

RonG

I have noticed a clunk in my right front end. It seems to happen when I take turn over a bump (like a driveway curb).

I jacked up the front end. There was no slop when I Image1481401467.835274.jpg tried to move the wheels. All the bolts are properly torqued.

The only thing I noticed is that the tie rod and track bar both will roll on the grommets at their ends. Image1481401467.835274.jpg

I don't know if they are supposed to do this or not.

I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

KJV

There is a roll to both joints. Do you have sway bar disco's? Mine have worn some at the joint and drivers side will make a clunk on small bumps as you have described.

WJCO

Meme King
Everytime I've had that symptom, it's been related to a track bar bolt. And yes, the steering joints should roll like that.

WJCO

Meme King
I've had 3 different occurrences, lol. One was a lower bolt seized, wouldn't torque, new bolt fixed it. 2nd time, was a loose upper bolt, torquing fixed. 3rd time was a loose jam nut on the adjustment section and everytime it came loose, it produced the same sound. I finally welded it. Each instance was several months apart and would do it on my driveway bump. Having a helper turn the wheel back and forth allowed me to find it each time. That was my experience. Good luck finding it.

daltexjeeper

I would take a look at your passenger side front swaybar link to make sure it isn't the culprit. Also, as others mentioned, the trackbar may have loosened up. Check the torque and report back :)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hammmerhead

A lot of grease residue around that upper ball joint. Looks like it has seeped over a long period of time. Its the first thing I would check. Use a pry bar, sometimes trying to move the tire for slop doesn't cut it.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a ball joint imo jack that side and use a prybar under the tire. Are those factory? I think they come worn out from the factory.

RonG

Update...

After having played with it for a week and not finding anything, I had a friend look at it.

He was coming up empty as well. Then, while playing with the shocks, he noticed that he could spin the upper part. It wasn't loose enough to shake or rattle, but, if he grabbed it tight, he could spin it.

I tightened in back down and the clunk is gone. I am guessing there was enough play that, when the bushing compressed, it would clunk.

WJCO

Meme King
Update...

After having played with it for a week and not finding anything, I had a friend look at it.

He was coming up empty as well. Then, while playing with the shocks, he noticed that he could spin the upper part. It wasn't loose enough to shake or rattle, but, if he grabbed it tight, he could spin it.

I tightened in back down and the clunk is gone. I am guessing there was enough play that, when the bushing compressed, it would clunk.

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for reporting back.

Top Bottom