Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 336

Thread: Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    52

    Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

    Hey guys,

    Does anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier yet? I was thinking about ordering the Shorty and wanted to see if there were any reviews out there.

    http://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/...er-shorty.html



    Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

  2. #2
    Hooked aermid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    164
    Brown Santa came this week and I'm actually just waking up to install it today


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    --Erin

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Been Around the Block Edwrds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by aermid View Post
    Brown Santa came this week and I'm actually just waking up to install it today


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Let me no how the install went! Specially anything that could make it easier.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2016 JKU

  5. #5
    Hooked aermid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by eazy View Post
    Which light bezels did you guys go with?
    I got the 4" round. I went round because it looked like if I get the matching front; it has round. My anal retentive levels are off the chart

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwrds View Post
    Let me no how the install went! Specially anything that could make it easier.
    Well it was short lived. I didn't realize lights weren't included. So I'm off to find some 4" rounds.

    Looks like I can get any type that isn't super deep and bolt mounts? Anyone have any suggestions on what might work well?

    I saw LOD had a halogen kit option for the Signature bumper, but didn't have that option when I was filling out for the Destroyer. I'd rather get LED anyways; so I'm hoping I can find something that will work. I gotta get this sucker on for the Christmas trip to CO.



    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    --Erin

  6. #6
    Knows a Thing or Two Goldeneagle1LC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Plant City, Fl
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by aermid View Post
    I got the 4" round. I went round because it looked like if I get the matching front; it has round. My anal retentive levels are off the chart



    Well it was short lived. I didn't realize lights weren't included. So I'm off to find some 4" rounds.

    Looks like I can get any type that isn't super deep and bolt mounts? Anyone have any suggestions on what might work well?

    I saw LOD had a halogen kit option for the Signature bumper, but didn't have that option when I was filling out for the Destroyer. I'd rather get LED anyways; so I'm hoping I can find something that will work. I gotta get this sucker on for the Christmas trip to CO.



    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    check out Inspired Engineering. I am vey happy with their products and they have a sale going on right now. They were on my Christmas list so i'm hoping Santa came through.

  7. #7
    Hooked aermid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneagle1LC View Post
    check out Inspired Engineering. I am vey happy with their products and they have a sale going on right now. They were on my Christmas list so i'm hoping Santa came through.
    Thanks a bunch, i'll check em out. I called LOD they didnt have any recommendations other than "round that bolt mounts".
    --Erin

  8. #8
    Hooked aermid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwrds View Post
    Let me no how the install went! Specially anything that could make it easier.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Got the first half installed last night. Finished around 2am. Lots of mistakes by us; this was our first bumper .

    Things that we found out the directions sorta glossed over:

    The side cross-member holes gotta be drilled inside and out; we dry fit to double check the directions "3/8" distance. That was spot on so could have saved a lot of time not doing that. The directions say 5/8 holes; don't short change that else the bottom cross member bolts will be hell.

    To help hold it and level it we used a normal tire changing jack. I don't have a high jack yet; I'm sure that would have helped or a floor jack. Jack stands weren't accurate enough imo to help level. Also I ended up hooking tie downs from the toe points to the roll cage to help front-to-back to get in line with the body (I just eye balled that direction). I used a 3ft level going driver/passenger.

    Do NOT tighten down anything till all 10 of the bolts are in; found that out the hard way

    The washers are huge and will overlap. Looks like that's same as in their direction pictures.

    The bolts seem short but after tightening everything down; seemed like there was enough bite.

    No idea what the 4.5" bolts are for yet; going to call them this morning.




    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by aermid; 12-19-2016 at 10:54 PM. Reason: stupid phone auto correct :)
    --Erin

  9. #9
    Been Around the Block Edwrds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    273

    Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

    Quote Originally Posted by aermid View Post
    Got the first half installed last night. Finished around 2am. Lots of mistakes by us; this was our first bumper .

    Things that we found out the directions sorta glossed over:

    The side cross-member holes gotta be drilled inside and out; we dry fit to double check the directions "3/8" distance. That was spot on so could have saved a lot of time not doing that. The directions say 5/8 holes; don't short change that else the bottom cross member bolts will be hell.

    To help hold it and level it we used a normal tire changing jack. I don't have a high jack yet; I'm sure that would have helped or a floor jack. Jack stands weren't accurate enough imo to help level. Also I ended up hooking tie downs from the toe points to the roll cage to help front-to-back to get in line with the body (I just eye balled that direction). I used a 3ft level going driver/passenger.

    Do NOT tighten down anything till all 10 of the bolts are in; found that out the hard way

    The washers are huge and will overlap. Looks like that's same as in their direction pictures.

    The bolts seem short but after tightening everything down; seemed like there was enough bite.

    No idea what the 4.5" bolts are for yet; going to call them this morning.




    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I started mine then found out that you have to install the lights before you install the bumper. LOD said you can drill the holes with just the two stock bolts in on both sides? Just received my lights so going to install the bumper tomorrow will let you know how it goes. Your right the online directions are way better than the prints. The middle holes were easy to drill.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Edwrds; 01-03-2017 at 04:44 AM.
    2016 JKU

  10. #10
    Hooked aermid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwrds View Post
    I started mine then found out that you have to install the lights before you install the bumper. LOD said you can drill the holes with just the two stock bolts in on both sides? Just received my lights so going to install the bumper tomorrow will let you know how it goes. Your right the online directions are way better than the prints. The middle holes were easy to drill.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Good luck. We got it all together before the trip but I think we are going to have to level it more front-to-back. The carrier arm ended up being just a little off from flush. I was able to use a thinner bolt on the top rubber bumper to make it flush but it sways out a little on its own. This is something we will have to go back and correct. We measured a few times on both sides and middle to try and get it right. It has to be flush when closed. If it doesn't fit exactly in the latch it will be noisy. Once I fix it, it's been silent.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    --Erin

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS