Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bumper or stock bumper

New bumper or stock bumper

Hey guys. I just recently bought my first Jeep. It's a 06 Rubicon. I'm excited to start customizing it. My question is would I be a fool to stick with the stock bumper and just get a winch mounting plate or should I hold out and get a new bumper with a built-in winch mount? Thanks for looking and welcome any wisdom you might share.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Brigga72 View Post
    Hey guys. I just recently bought my first Jeep. It's a 06 Rubicon. I'm excited to start customizing it. My question is would I be a fool to stick with the stock bumper and just get a winch mounting plate or should I hold out and get a new bumper with a built-in winch mount? Thanks for looking and welcome any wisdom you might share.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    It's really up to you. As long as your winch mount is secured to the frame, it will work. If you do the plate, it's a lot lighter than a full bumper.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar

edit: Never mind. I see you have a TJ.

I ran an M8000 on RockHard 4x4's mounting plate, on my last Jeep. It is very sturdy, if you go that route.

See it in 2 posts, below...

Warn M8000 and Rockhard mounting plate

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...are_pid=637405

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by notnalc68; 03-05-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Been Around the Block LetsGoMuddin's Avatar
    Before I bought my JCR bumper I chopped my stock bumper into a stubby. It's definitely cheaper to go that way and get a winch mounting plate, I just really like the look that the JCR bumper gives my Jeep.
    1997 O|||||||O TJ
    Truck- Lite
    Metalcloak
    DynoMax
    33" Duratracs
    My Build: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...-Jeep-TJ-Build

Knows a Thing or Two holliewood61's Avatar
    To me it depends on where you wheel. If you're on the east coast where we have trees and such id swap the factory bumper out for something more substantial. If you have wide open wheeling then a winch plate should be fine

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Beat it to fit, paint it to match

08 WK
    00 WJ
    99 TJ
    81 CJ7
    60 CJ5

Best wheeling in WV
    http://trailsheaven.com/Plan-Your-TR...vy-Branch.aspx

You can get such great deals on custom front bumpers that I personally wouldn't invest anything into the stock one.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by papasurf View Post
    You can get such great deals on custom front bumpers that I personally wouldn't invest anything into the stock one.

True that...250.00 will get you something really nice nowadays, unless you are trapped in the brand of the week elitist money pit of dispair.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by YJJK View Post
    True that...250.00 will get you something really nice nowadays, unless you are trapped in the brand of the week elitist money pit of dispair.

$250?? I would like to see what type of piece of shit you can get for that. Then add a winch to it... I guess doing things twice can be a hobby .

Fresh Catch
    Well sir, I drive an 89 YJ, and 250 will get me a solid, well fitting front bumper that I have faith that it would protect me, my family, and my Jeep. Such bumpers do it all day long. My JK has a stock bumper on it, due to it not being financially viable to sink the amount of money into a vehicle that only drive on low impact trails. I am not spending money to have the latest thing at the mall. I am not cutting my stock fenders to look tough at the gym, Im not putting beadlocks on a DD commuter Jeep to look like I am a hard core rock crawler. I put my money where it will be used best, and purchase what will serve my needs best. I will not put a 1000.00 bumper on a Jeep then use said bumper for what I need it for. That, in my opinion, is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by YJJK View Post
    Well sir, I drive an 89 YJ, and 250 will get me a solid, well fitting front bumper that I have faith that it would protect me, my family, and my Jeep. Such bumpers do it all day long. My JK has a stock bumper on it, due to it not being financially viable to sink the amount of money into a vehicle that only drive on low impact trails. I am not spending money to have the latest thing at the mall. I am not cutting my stock fenders to look tough at the gym, Im not putting beadlocks on a DD commuter Jeep to look like I am a hard core rock crawler. I put my money where it will be used best, and purchase what will serve my needs best. I will not put a 1000.00 bumper on a Jeep then use said bumper for what I need it for. That, in my opinion, is just silly.

I believe the point was that the OP was looking to add a winch. My comment simply questions your statement that he could buy a decent winch ready bumper for $250. I really didn't ask about what you personally have or your philosophy behind it. I for sure didn't say that you had to have a $1,000 bumper, cut fenders and beadlocks to fit in, so reel it back in a little.
    Last edited by sipafz; 03-05-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast