Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "What the hell do I do now?" An educational thread for wheelin' beginners

Quote Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
    The 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 are only for messing with the yokes right? Is that just for if you're going from say a 1350 back to stock for your repair? Or is there any other reason you may need those if you're running a stock ds?
    Correct. I say to bring them just in case someone in your group is carrying a spare 1310 or 1350 with them. This is something that just happened over the summer on the Rubicon. If you have no spare and your best option is to just pull the shaft, the sockets won't do you any good.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Only on a TJ.
    Thanks, I didnt realize they were that different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got this idea from Ian on Xtreme 4x4. If you break a front shaft on the trail and you don't have a spare, as others said, you can still take the shaft out and get home in 3-wheel drive. But short of stuffing a rag into your axle end to keep the fluid from leaking out, you can use a mechanical rubber plug in it's place. It's essentially a plug with a bolt through it, which you can tighten to create a seal on the end of the axle tube. Here's an example -

3703671-24.jpg

They should only be a few bucks and provide peace of mind, especially if you have to cross water with a missing shaft to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    I got this idea from Ian on Xtreme 4x4. If you break a front shaft on the trail and you don't have a spare, as others said, you can still take the shaft out and get home in 3-wheel drive. But short of stuffing a rag into your axle end to keep the fluid from leaking out, you can use a mechanical rubber plug in it's place. It's essentially a plug with a bolt through it, which you can tighten to create a seal on the end of the axle tube. Here's an example -

3703671-24.jpg

They should only be a few bucks and provide peace of mind, especially if you have to cross water with a missing shaft to get home.
    That looks really useful. For a lot of things actually. Where to purchase?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post

Don't get the plugs from the adult store, they don't fit.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post

There's lots of different styles so it's worth shopping around. You'll also want to measure the inside diameter of your axle tube unless you can find it somewhere on the internet. You want the plug to go in easily, but still have some room to expand before it fills up the tube end.

Here's a link to a Grainger one and I like their website because it lists the Min and Max diameter for each size. This 2.5" plug is <$25 - Low Pressure 2-1/2" Mechanical Pipe Plug, Rubber

This one also has a small nut exposed on the end, but some styles have large wingnuts, etc that could interfere with other components.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Don't get the plugs from the adult store, they don't fit.
    Depends on the hole I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    Depends on the hole I suppose.
    A tail pipe for example... Someone had to go there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Subscribed!!!
    One thing that actually happened to my buddy at moab he drug his tie rod on ledge bending it totally under the diff leaving his front tires totally bowed in. What we did was with a basic sockets a metal hammer to get it off, did the best we could with my 4dr running it over to get it straight ish then re attached it adjusted the toe then took a ratchet strap and ran it around the tie rod and diff to keep it from bowing when he turned. Got us through the rest of the trail and was stable at 60 on the highway back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Wow tons of breakage knowledge being nutted here. Sub'd for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    B.O.D. Build - 2014 Granite Crystal JKU - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...t-Build-Thread

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast