Looking for some rims

Eezybreezy08

Hey fellas I'm looking to get some new rims before to long. I'm not wanting to spend a lot so I'm seriously considering steel. My question is how much heavier is steel wheels from the aluminums and can anyone give me pros and cons for the steel. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Steel
Pros: easy to fix on the trail of you hit it and it gets bent on the bead lip. More durable
Cons: weight and usually don't look as good. And limited styles to choose from
Aluminum
Pros: lighter than steel even if only a few pounds. Tend to look better than steel and lots more styles to choose from.
Cons: not as durable, though they can still take a good beating.
They will tend to break or Crack easier than steel. If bent you will likely not be able to beat the bead lip back into place without breaking it.

sent from your basement

Eezybreezy08

Thanks bub. I just want something cheap for now cause ultimately I want slabs. I was just concerned about how heavy the steels are considering I'll be on a Dana 30 front for awhile

independentrider

Hey fellas I'm looking to get some new rims before to long. I'm not wanting to spend a lot so I'm seriously considering steel. My question is how much heavier is steel wheels from the aluminums and can anyone give me pros and cons for the steel. Thanks

You can find used beadlocks cheap just keep your eye out. I found a set of 5, atx chamber pro 2 for $500. Craigslist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Had a set of procomp steel wheels on my last JK only bad thing I'll say about them is with rock rash in CO they started to rust. I believe aluminum would not do that if your in an area that would have rust problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
I don't know if I would do either steel or aluminum if you are thinking slabs in the future. I did the same thing and went Fuel wheels. The trail rash was pretty bad. Rocks obviously, but even wood branches and roots scar the aluminum. I would save your money and get the slabs or other bead locks instead. The bead lock rings will also take a beating, but that's what they are made for. I moved my Fuel wheels to my wife's jeep but had a hell of a lot of work to do to make them look good.

woof359

think ahead

I started out with procomp steel wheels in 16 cause that what I on the jeep, before I bought tires I wish I would have gone up to 17 and paid the extra cash, so now I have new 16 inch tires and I'm kinda stuck with going with mags in that size, I went thru Discount Tires for wheels, good selection and they helped a lot

Eezybreezy08

I want some slabs eventually but for me to get that, I also have to get the wife the same thing. And I'm tired of stock rims. So for the time being I want something cheap and in black. All the while I'm try to get this pr44 since I tore my 30 up. So that's why I've been asking about the steel

Top Bottom