Gearbox in recovery mode after re-gear

Guascone

New day new problem…yesterday we fished to re-gear my JKUR. After we reassembled all the parts we try to switch on the engine in order to test it.

First issue: the battery was down. We charge it few our an then we try again to switch on the engine.
We re-flash also the DCU with the new gear ratio
Ignition ok
We try just to go forward few meters and backward the same. No issue no dash light.
We try the 4wd L and S and no issue again.
On road test:
Automatic gearbox (WA580) limited to 3rd gear.
After few miles the engine light limp on on the dash. It start also to limp on also esp light.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Did you use a programmer such as an AEV ProCal or Superchips Flashcal to program with the correct gear ratio? If not, them this is your problem.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Googled Xgate2 but nothing in English. Just get a Procal. It's cheep and it works. Your problem is classic limp mode and easy to address.

Guascone

Googled Xgate2 but nothing in English. Just get a Procal. It's cheep and it works. Your problem is classic limp mode and easy to address.

Thanks! I hope you are right. Here in Italy proCal isn't so chip and easy to buy...I'll search it

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea your jeep just went into limp mode. Just make sure your gear ratio is correctly entered and make sure your tire size is entered correctly as well.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm try to understand how to gear ratio correctly. It seems that the programmer is not able to dialogue with the dcu...

If it's not talking to the PCM then it probably isn't programmed for your 15 JK. Look at superchips or aev. Both are cheap and work with the newer jk's

Coop

Caught the Bug
Thanks! Il try to make as you told me.

From my point of view is already important to exclude the assembly error

There is usually a first step where the programmer recognizes the PCM. Then you program for the gear ratio change. If you skipped this first step, the gear change won't be accepted.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Don't know what that error code is. I suggest you PM WJCO.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Found it. That's an incorrect gear ratio code. It's all related to the limp mode. Clear all codes and set the gear ratio. Try to get a Procal.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry. I wasn't around today. Yes that's a gear ratio error code for 2nd gear. It's very unlikely you have a tranny problem just because of a re-gear, so i would make sure with your programmer, everything is recalibrated correctly.

Guascone

Thanks guys! ProCal seem the solution...unfortunately also for that I have to order it and wait...[emoji31]

According to you is it possible that the programmer is not able to set the correct gear ratio until the error will be cancelled from the gearbox ecu?

Top Bottom