Help with J8 D44 purchase

decoy5657

jorgelrod

Hooked
The J8 D44 is basically the same regular Rubicon 44 with a thicker tube. The problem is, even being thicker, it's still a 2" tube. Save an extra 2 grand and you'll be able to go with a prorock 44. As to the knuckles, you can reuse yours.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JTPhoto JK

The J8 D44 has thicker 2.5" tubes and a different center section then the Rubi D44. It takes the same carrier as the rear non Rubi D44 (SAE bearings) or standard PR44.
The D44HD/J8 from Mopar Performance or Dana Ultimate D44 have the thicker 2.5" J8 tubes and Rubi center section.
I have personally built 2 of these.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the J8 44 is essentially a Rubicon 44 with thicker tubes. In other words, the diff and shafts are the only thing that make it a 44 and regardless of how thick the tubes are, they are still just 2.5" in diameter like a Dana 30 and NOT 3" like a TRUE 44 would be.

Personally, if it were me, I would save a bit longer and get a ProRock 44.

JTPhoto JK

My post was for clarification. The J8 D44 has a different center section and is not compatible with Rubi parts. It takes the same carrier as the PR44 non metric.

Dxess

The J8 D44 has thicker 2.5" tubes and a different center section then the Rubi D44. It takes the same carrier as the rear non Rubi D44 (SAE bearings) or standard PR44.
The D44HD/J8 from Mopar Performance or Dana Ultimate D44 have the thicker 2.5" J8 tubes and Rubi center section.
I have personally built 2 of these.

I just ordered one of this Dana 44 j8 housing, great price.
I will do sleeves, gusset and truss to this baby and I will go with RCV.
I just met a local guy with a Rubicon running 37's for the second time with his dana 44's with all the armor I mentioned. He's upgrading to 40's Pitt bull rockers in a week. The guy is retired and wheels as a hobby at least once a week.. I think I'll be more than secure with my purchase without breaking the bank..

Here is a pic of a friend running 40's on rubicon 44's.. IMG_0016.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom