ChiliDawg's JK build

ChiliDawg

Hey, these threads are fun, thought I'd do one too. Get some input from y'all on stuff and whatnot.

Bought my '14 JK Sport in August of this year and naturally set out immediately to spend more money on it.

EDE46D62-36BD-4CC5-B372-D6EEA0F5C44B.jpg

Bone stock, 3.6L, automatic, 3.21 gears.

I wanted to build it up to be capable of running trails like the Rubicon but keep it mild enough to still be a reliable daily driver.

So the short list of essentials is -

- enough lift to fit 35's
- 4.56 gears, some sort of locker in the rear
- bumpers, rockers and skids
- winch

And or course lots of other things that aren't essential but just really cool [emoji41]

Mod posts to follow...

Current status -

IMG_3013.jpg

-2.5" RE coil lift
- 1" rear coil spacers
- 35" BFG KO2's
- 4.56 D44 rear w/ Eaton E-locker
- 4.56 open front D35
- Poison Spyder Brawler Lite front bumper
- Smittybuilt X20 winch
- RockHard Patriot rear bumper/carrier
- Cobra 29LX CB radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChiliDawg

So the first thing to do was get it lifted because I just can't bear the sight of a stocker height Jeep.

2A819DDF-8BF3-46B5-8EFD-59FE4C4A9076.jpg

Went with a RE 2.5" coil lift, it was a budget option since I didn't have to worry about a track bar or control arms at that height.

Went with 35" BFG AT/KO2 tires on pro comp alloys.

Also I bought a programmer to adjust for speedo and spent a little extra to get the one that would optimize for performance or mileage.

Last edited:

ChiliDawg

Next I needed to address the bumpers, and what I really wanted was to do the PSC stuff all around, but frankly I just can't afford the stuff lol. So I perused other options but managed to get lucky and find a bargain on a PSC front bumper with a winch on Craigslist and scooped it up.

Previous owner did kind of a crappy job of painting it though and didn't paint the underside or inside at all so I had to strip it down, sand it and refinish it.

B4931E94-824A-45D9-BC5A-CFF6C27D789D.jpg
430B0C92-E57E-4D73-B04C-D048B2A24D93.jpg
04C8290F-0CD0-4585-AA4E-06CCCDF24D6B.jpg
2E0F8E5E-884F-4A2D-BE9C-5F3059178B6B.jpg
7033F508-123A-44B2-A60B-A3D4BF088DB1.jpg

ChiliDawg

Rear bumper was next and I kept an eye out on Craigslist for awhile for that as well, and that's how I met benatc1 and ended up with his old bumper and found this place[emoji1]

8930895D-C52B-4100-8CCB-52414B2D0118.jpg

So now I'm waiting on Christmas bonuses to get the next piece, which I'm debating between rockers or doing my exhaust. I really want the PSC rocker brawlers but they're just so damned expensive.

ChiliDawg

By the way the reason so many of my pics are taken in parking lots is because sometimes I finish these things after dark in my driveway with a flashlight and have to go up to the corner for some light [emoji1]

It IS more than a mall crawler though, I swear!

IMG_2568.jpg

ChiliDawg

Also, the 2.5 lift was enough for the 35's but now that I've put bumpers and a winch on (and that rear bumper is HEAVY) I've noticed a little squat, in the rear mainly. I was told using coils from a JKU lift kit would fix that in the rear but I might just look to go to 3.5" coils eventually. Works now as is with a little fender rubbing when I'm flexed out, though when I get the flares trimmed that will help I imagine.

mojave5

Also, the 2.5 lift was enough for the 35's but now that I've put bumpers and a winch on (and that rear bumper is HEAVY) I've noticed a little squat, in the rear mainly. I was told using coils from a JKU lift kit would fix that in the rear but I might just look to go to 3.5" coils eventually. Works now as is with a little fender rubbing when I'm flexed out, though when I get the flares trimmed that will help I imagine.

Nice looking build so far! For springs I highly recommend the EVO plush rides. I know its been spoken for many times on here already. I have them on my 2dr and love the ride and height. I also have heavy bumpers and tire carrier.

ChiliDawg

Nice looking build so far! For springs I highly recommend the EVO plush rides. I know its been spoken for many times on here already. I have them on my 2dr and love the ride and height. I also have heavy bumpers and tire carrier.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you running 3" or 4"?

ChiliDawg

Great start. Definitely a fan of the dune color.

Thanks! You know I really didn't know how I felt about it at first, the price was right, but it's grown on me. Looks way better with black wheels.

Vanv39

Thanks! You know I really didn't know how I felt about it at first, the price was right, but it's grown on me. Looks way better with black wheels.

Yeah my buddy has a 2 door Rubicon in dune. He definitely needs some black wheels and a lift for that matter lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChiliDawg

Finally got some rock slider protection thanks to benatc1 giving me his old stock sliders and the rain letting up for long enough to put them on. Need to get the right bolts for the body mounts, just bolted to the pinch seam right now but it looks improved at least.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_2800.JPG

Edit: adding another photo because that first one is hard to see IMG_2797.JPG

Last edited:

TRLJNKY

WTF? My stuff still trying to get over Donner Pass and your stuff showed up? I knew I shoulda went Fedex lmao. Nice man! One day Ill be on 4.88's. Baby steps

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Top Bottom