Going to 35s

love2wheel

I just wanted to tell you all about my day. I am ready to move up to 35s. I plan on getting the evo gusset kit for the added strength. In the past I did all the research on this forum and from that, 35s and the kit on a d30 is good. Not to much tire for the axle. I went to try and set things up today. Prices and the date i'll. Be doing it. The tire guy calls the local fab shop who immediately starts telling me I need internal sleeves. That he will drill the axle and weld it. On top of the gusset kit, and new axle shafts. This was after I explained the type of wheeling I do. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Nobody in this town seems to know what there doing. Any thoughts.

Sent from my LGL31L using WAYALIFE mobile app

kyle521

I just wanted to tell you all about my day. I am ready to move up to 35s. I plan on getting the evo gusset kit for the added strength. In the past I did all the research on this forum and from that, 35s and the kit on a d30 is good. Not to much tire for the axle. I went to try and set things up today. Prices and the date i'll. Be doing it. The tire guy calls the local fab shop who immediately starts telling me I need internal sleeves. That he will drill the axle and weld it. On top of the gusset kit, and new axle shafts. This was after I explained the type of wheeling I do. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Nobody in this town seems to know what there doing. Any thoughts.

As long as you dont run 5.13 gears or a locker, your dana 30 should be fine with just the gussets if you arent beating the shit out of it

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

You are paying. Tell them what to do, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

thardy

Banned

Look into Havoc Offroad, a vendor here. They're in Florida. Hopefully not too far from you.

love2wheel

Ok. I thought so. I won't be regearing right away. I just shook his hand and told him to have a nice day. When I was told, "when people tell me they were on a forum, I don't even talk to them." I laughed at him. I said this isn't just a forum. Those guys have put in the work and know what they're talking about. I won't be doing business with them. I'm getting my tires from eBay. I can get them for close to a thousand less than the local shops. Mount and balance is pretty inexpensive. One shop said they use balance beads on the larger tires and the other said weights. Which to you guys prefer? Also, ball joins are in pretty good shape, but they are factory with 79k. I was planning on replacing them while doing the gusset. Are the bigger tires going to wear that much faster. No matter what I was planning on the hd dynatrac joints. Ill be doing myself. Can't justify over three hundred in labor for their install

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Ok. I thought so. I won't be regearing right away. I just shook his hand and told him to have a nice day. When I was told, "when people tell me they were on a forum, I don't even talk to them." I laughed at him. I said this isn't just a forum. Those guys have put in the work and know what they're talking about. I won't be doing business with them. I'm getting my tires from eBay. I can get them for close to a thousand less than the local shops. Mount and balance is pretty inexpensive. One shop said they use balance beads on the larger tires and the other said weights. Which to you guys prefer?

The tape weight thingys

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned by yourself and others all you need is gussets. Make sure when it's balanced that the shop road force or high speed balances them and uses sticky weights.

As for ball joints go they are a simple install and the dynatrac instructions are actually pretty good compared to others. I would also suggest new hubs/unit bearings as they will wear out fast with 35's depending on how much backspacing your wheels have.

love2wheel

Yes. I have previously been through the ball joint thread. Which is where I learned of the dynatrac joints. And hubs are a good idea. I have that in mind. Funds are limited. I'm knocking out the joints first. They're pretty expensive but worth the money. Thank you guys. The work should be done in the next week or two. I'll put the pictures in the build thread.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta love shops that feel the need to tell people what they need. :naw:

As mentioned, be sure to ask for tape on weights when getting your wheels balanced. :yup:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Basically what everyone else is saying, slap some gussets on the D30 and let her rip. I honestly wouldnt even waste my money regearing it if you plan to upgrade anytime in the future, but if your sticking with your D30 for a while, regear it. 5.13 or less in that D30.

If you think theres even the slightest bit youll ever go 37s, go 5.13s.

love2wheel

Thanks again. I'll be sticking with 35s. Axle upgrade way in the future. I do a lot of trail riding. I get in some technical stuff. I take it fairly easy. I'm more into the skill of it not trying to jump it and kill it. I will be sure to ask for sticky weights.

Top Bottom