GM 4.3 engine swap?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm thinking of doing a 4.3 swap in my 08 JK, does anyone know of any kits to make it easier or do I have to make all my parts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Custom engine swaps take a TON of work and research. Why would you go to the trouble of removing a V6 only to put another V6 in there? As far as making parts, not sure what you mean. but as far as custom mounts, adapters, that's a probability. I don't know of anyone who has done something like this. A V8 swap seems to have a higher demand for aftermarket support.

Kalums

I vote with WJCO, however if you are bound and determined to do it... Advance adapters might make some of the things you are looking for but I guarantee they don't make them all. If I were you I would do a lot of research on cost... I'm fairly sure that it will cost you almost the same as an LS swap...

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
:thinking: What version of the 4.3 are you thinking on? The newest LV3 puts out the same HP (285)as the 3.6 Pentastar. If you are stuck on doing a V6 why not focus on that one instead?

JKU08

I want to do something different. And I'm not looking for all the power of a v8. I like v6's but the tranny that is bolted to 3.8 sucks!!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I have a 4.3 in my flat fender and it's great but I would not invest all my time and money to install it in my JK. I also think like you sometimes and want to do something different. But I think it's better to do what's tried and true. Unless you have tons of money, time and engineering know how then go for it. I'm not sure what I'll do when my 3.8 goes out or even when my transmission goes out but it seems to be very reliable. I never have a lack of power issue off-road unless I'm in the sand. I can still cruise around town easily and even on the highway. Hill climbs at freeway speeds suck but it's temporary. I hope you find a solution and please report back.

Lloydsmale

might have the same hp rating but those 4.3s defineatly put out more power then the 3.6 does. My neighbor bought a new club cab 4x4 Silverado with a 4.3 in it and I road in it last week. It would run circles around my jk with a 3.6 and weights a heck of a lot more. His even has 343 gears to my 373s. He especially has an advantage on the bottom end. On a 55 mph roll they would be close but my money would be on the truck. Id bet the advantage comes from just having more torque. Keep in mind too that that 4.3 has as much hp and torque as the 5.3 did in my old 2003 Silverado. I personaly think it would make a fine motor in a jk.

Ddays

Hooked
might have the same hp rating but those 4.3s defineatly put out more power then the 3.6 does. .

:thinking: Huh?

Granted, the 4.3 does have roughly 45 ft/lbs more torque than the 4.6 (roughly 305 vs 260) but is that small of a difference worth trying to jam a square peg into a round hole? Good luck if that's what you end up doing but why not put your time & energy into a LS swap where there is pretty good support out there if needed & really make the changeout worth the effort? I can appreciate wanting to be different but man you are really gonna have a battle with that swap.

I'm thinking of doing a 4.3 swap in my 08 JK, does anyone know of any kits to make it easier or do I have to make all my parts?

Anything is possible, and I too would be doing whatever I could to get away from the 3.8. I wouldn't bother with the 4.3. It's a great motor, but if you're going to go through the effort I'd go with something with similar packaging and reliability with a little more power potential. If you want lower displacement and cheap go grab a GM 4.8 with a 4L60E from a junk yard, it's a great motor and now one wants them because for the same amount of work you can do a 5.3. Throw a couple of horsepower goodies into your $400 4.8 and you have 5.3 horsepower (or better) for half the price, and you already have a roadmap to doing the swap because it's basically the same as the 5.3.

ob_tj

That does sound interesting... like everyone has said, I would spend your time and money in something worth the effort. And something you can get a little mor horsepower out of. If you are stuck on going with a 6 cylinder take a look at an ecoboost. Also something that may not have been done.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Don't do it!
Just don't do it! Listen to everyone.
Not worth it. Go for a swap that is done often so you don't have to figure everything out.
I've done several repowers from a Cummins in an old dodge power wagon to a 2.2 Ecotec in my Willys flatfender and they are a ton of work and expensive.
My favorite swap was when TrailJeeps put a HEMI in my JK. Cheaper and faster and better than I could have done on my own.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
At least a 5.3L Chevy. The technology is already available for integration with the factory computer system. There is no replacement for displacement.

5280Sapper

At least a 5.3L Chevy. The technology is already available for integration with the factory computer system. There is no replacement for displacement.

Typically that is my go to!!!! I always believe the there is no replacement for displacement but if you wanna be different and make it easier on yourself look at one of those 3.0 eco diesels... that should be fun and there is even a company called Coty doing VW diesel swaps..

Ddays

Hooked
So the specs on that engine show 267 ft/b torque and the 3.6 VVT V6 has 265ft/lb. As someone that's driven but never owned a diesel, would someone like me really be able to tell any difference? I understand that's at a lower RPM but how would that translate in real world situations?

5280Sapper

So the specs on that engine show 267 ft/b torque and the 3.6 VVT V6 has 265ft/lb. As someone that's driven but never owned a diesel, would someone like me really be able to tell any difference? I understand that's at a lower RPM but how would that translate in real world situations?

I know it says that on there but from the other article I read from the Cummins rep they are bumping them up to 200+ hp and 460 tq. the 460 tq comes in at 1600 rpm too...

Ddays

Hooked
I know it says that on there but from the other article I read from the Cummins rep they are bumping them up to 200+ hp and 460 tq. the 460 tq comes in at 1600 rpm too...

Ok, now you're talking. Wonder if it is as loud as typical Cummins engine though? If so guy's would probably be tossing your ass off the trail at the first chance they could! Those things are rattletraps, man.

5280Sapper

Found that video last night too. I was a Cummins tech trained by them for years and I know Common Rails very well... but I still also wanna see more before I make a decision as well.. I have a 392 sitting in the garage and this has me considering changing for it.

Top Bottom