Sweet up travel!

Jimmypaget

I was taking a look at my suspension the other day and noticed all the travel I have! I might have more than Eddie! (Sarcasm) awesome teraflex bumpstops on top of stock ones it looks like. IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Actually, I just looked at our stock height JK, that looks pretty normal. It's about 3 inches from the spring perch to the bottom of the bump stop cup. And if measuring to the bottom of the rubber (which is not accurate travel), it's about 1.25 inches. I think you'll be fine.

1228160917.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I just looked at our stock height JK, that looks pretty normal. It's about 3 inches from the spring perch to the bottom of the bump stop cup. And if measuring to the bottom of the rubber (which is not accurate travel), it's about 1.25 inches. I think you'll be fine.

View attachment 236286

This is correct ^^^^

You have a LOT more up travel than I think you've been thinking you have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha because the bump stop will be pushed into the can at full compression, giving it a couple extra inches correct?

Yes, the jounce stop will compress and give you a bit more up travel. That being said, how much of a lift are you supposed to have on your Jeep? I don't see any bump stop extensions.

WJCO

Meme King
Gotcha because the bump stop will be pushed into the can at full compression, giving it a couple extra inches correct?

It will flatten out or compress. Sometimes even growing larger but sideways. I tried to find a pic, but don't have any right now. Here's one from online that someone put in a vise.

DSC01912.jpg

Jimmypaget

Yes, the jounce stop will compress and give you a bit more up travel. That being said, how much of a lift are you supposed to have on your Jeep? I don't see any bump stop extensions.

I honestly have no clue as to high much lift I actually have. The lift was on the jeep when I bought it (used). I was told it was maybe a 3-3.5 inch. It's a teraflex spring and some other teraflex stuff on it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly have no clue as to high much lift I actually have. The lift was on the jeep when I bought it (used). I was told it was maybe a 3-3.5 inch. It's a teraflex spring and some other teraflex stuff on it.

Well, if that is true, you definitely do NOT have 3 - 3.5" of lift anymore. If you had, you would of had at least 3" bump stop extensions installed and the amount of space between them and your jounce stops would have been about what you are seeing now.

CORRECTION : I see you have 2.5" TeraFlex bump stop extensions extending down from the upper jounce stop cup. If I could guess, you only have 2.5" of lift.

Jimmypaget

Thank you sir! Eddie, your forum and its members are a wealth of knowledge. Just from looking at a couple photos and reading a little around here, I've gathered so much intelligence on the jeep. Thanks for providing your brains to pick!

Top Bottom