New 2018 Wrangler, without Roll Cage?

EagleScout

Just read on the Jeep Experience FB page that the 2018 Jeep Wrangler is going to eliminate the interior roll cage.
How do you guys feel about that?

20170201123847-6d2f0307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Being that all you provided was a link to another forum I'm going to call bullshit

CAN I POST LINKS OR DIRECT MEMBERS TO OTHER FORUMS, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE CHANNELS OR OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES?
No. We ask that you NOT post links or direct members to other forums, Facebook pages, chat rooms, YouTube channels or other social media outlets. Soliciting traffic to anyone of these sites is not allowed. Please be advised that your post may be edited or removed if it contains such content.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I'd be surprised to see that actually happening, especially in a vehicle with removable roof panels. I call BS too

Kalums

If they do it will be completely idiotic, their safety ratings will hit the trash and they will lose a lot of business. If you want a Jeep w/o a removable top... You don't want a Jeep, or atleast not a wrangler.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hot94Z28

If they do it will be completely idiotic, their safety ratings will hit the trash and they will lose a lot of business. If you want a Jeep w/o a removable top... You don't want a Jeep, or atleast not a wrangler.

Agreed on the part about the Jeep, also no way it would pass government regulation without a roll cage and a soft top, not on a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No surprise, Jeep has been talking about this for quite some time. Convertibles or, in the case of a Jeep, topless vehicles are always a LOT heavier than an equivalent enclosed vehicle as so much more reinforcement is needed. Jeep has been trying hard to reduce the weight of the Wrangler for while now to meet federal standards. The new JL will feature a body with removable panels to give it the "open" feel. Structurally, it should be more ridged as technically, just as safe if not safer.

Kalums

No surprise, Jeep has been talking about this for quite some time. Convertibles or, in the case of a Jeep, topless vehicles are always a LOT heavier than an equivalent enclosed vehicle as so much more reinforcement is needed. Jeep has been trying hard to reduce the weight of the Wrangler for while now to meet federal standards. The new JL will feature a body with removable panels to give it the "open" feel. Structurally, it should be more ridged as technically, just as safe if not safer.
So Rock Hard 4x4 will be making some serious $$ on some full cages... Sounds good to me. I don't know about everyone else but no matter what the parent company says a vehicle with a cage is safer than w/o. Plus the wrangler will always be a higher roll over probability, simply because of its size, shape and design. I guess I'm just trying to say it seems dumb to me no matter how much weight you save.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
So Rock Hard 4x4 will be making some serious $$ on some full cages... Sounds good to me. I don't know about everyone else but no matter what the parent company says a vehicle with a cage is safer than w/o. Plus the wrangler will always be a higher roll over probability, simply because of its size, shape and design. I guess I'm just trying to say it seems dumb to me no matter how much weight you save.

The point is that the body structure will be stronger than a simple tubular cage. It's not that it won't have any roll over protection it's just that it won't look like a traditional cage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The point is that the body structure will be stronger than a simple tubular cage. It's not that it won't have any roll over protection it's just that it won't look like a traditional cage.

This ^^^^^

I think once the panels are off, the overall look of the JL will still "look" topless or toplessish - it just won't have what looks like a simple tubular cage.

This ^^^^^

I think once the panels are off, the overall look of the JL will still "look" topless or toplessish - it just won't have what looks like a simple tubular cage.

Don't forget, we already make interior cages for Jeeps that do not have a factory tubular cage. Take a look at our Cherokee and Grand Cherokee cages. The upside of all this again is our patented locking collars. They allow us to give you a fully functional sport cage no matter what Jeep does.

This will probably mean drilling required to mount some of our tubing to floor, but beyond that - still means no welding.

RH-1012-1-2T.jpg

RH-1012-1-10T.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget, we already make interior cages for Jeeps that do not have a factory tubular cage. Take a look at our Cherokee and Grand Cherokee cages. The upside of all this again is our patented locking collars. They allow us to give you a fully functional sport cage no matter what Jeep does.

This will probably mean drilling required to mount some of our tubing to floor, but beyond that - still means no welding.

RH-1012-1-2T.jpg

RH-1012-1-10T.jpg

LOL!! Oh, I have no doubts that you guys would have an answer for this. My only point was to say that it won't be like the JL won't have protection, just not the kind that we're all used to. :yup:

Benito

Caught the Bug

Could you explain what the difference is between your "patented locking collars" and say a tierod clamp that PSC makes, besides the size?

Could you explain what the difference is between your "patented locking collars" and say a tierod clamp that PSC makes, besides the size?

Completely different intent of use. Our patent is on the theory of connecting structural tube with a collar creating a solid junction to any other structural tube. Using a collar to create a cage in essence. The same logic will apply when the JL comes out, even if it does not turn out to have factory tubing.

Our patent:
http://www.google.com.ar/patents/US6908107

Last edited:

ichthus

Just read on the Jeep Experience FB page that the 2018 Jeep Wrangler is going to eliminate the interior roll cage.
How do you guys feel about that?

20170201123847-6d2f0307.jpg

The way that picture looks, I could imagine the soft top running on the "rails" that make up the upper body frame. Not exactly sure what they'd do for the side windows...maybe they'll still be zip in

The one benefit to the look of that pic is that half doors still look possible

BlackDiamond_JKU

So, is this an actual JL? And is nobody going to ask, what the hell are those vents in the front quarter panel, and where the duck are the hood latches!?

Aside from that, the roll cage issue seems minuscule. The one we have now isn't all that anyways. Most people put an aftermarket one in for a reason.
I'm sure companies will start pushing product before the JL is 6 months old.
It's a Jeep.
Innovation follows.

Top Bottom