Long time 2000 XJ owner, finally mod ready

SMOKYMANCE

Hello guys, decided to finally join the forums and share my little project.
Family has had this for a while, and they finally decided they were going to sell it, so i decided to bring it back to life.
Last 5-6 years lived in Oregon, went to Maryland, not its back home in Michigan...
2000 XJ w the LP 30 up front and D35 rear...worst setup of jeeps ever but new axles are in the works. Here are some pics.
January last year when i brought it home. Suspension was pretty rough, steering was like driving a boat, brakes were pretty rough, basically needed some major TLC.

SMOKYMANCE

Thanks guys! Glad to be here!

Here are some more pics as i progressed to get few more necessary mods to her! Most might be out of order as they are shared between photobucket and google drive

Here is her before and after lift next to my lowered Yukon

After some paying attention to the trans temps in the summer at the dunes, it was time for a trans cooler and gauge as well as a higher amp alt

SMOKYMANCE

After wanting more lift, as everyone always does, i finally convinced that i rather do the gears and axles prior...

Found an 8.25 for basically free, or i would have gotten a ford 8.8, and scored a junk yard HP30 for about 100 dollars...

front is getting an air locker, while the rear gets a powertrax no slip and liberty disc brake conversion, all mated to 4.56 gears

Being open diff front and rear really got me to learn and play with gears.

Snow or sand, most of the stuff i have only done so far, she constantly struggles getting thru with the open diffs...yeah i never really get stuck stuck, but i guess its just a reason for me to get axles

SMOKYMANCE

Finally got the gears setup and ready to go! Now to painting them and getting the rear disc brake conversion done...

Thinking of trussing or gusseting the front axle, or just leaving it the way it is as i never wheel it hard.

It will also need new ball joints too but not sure any aftermarket companies make any good ball joints specifically for the XJ...any specific brands you guys recommend?

SMOKYMANCE

Here are the 35s tucked on stock fenders w 3in lift...LOL definately have to lift it up a tad and do some cutting

Compared to the 3in lift on 31s

ob_tj

Those BFGs will look good. I am having to do the same thing right now with cutting a lot of stuff up.

Edit: the first cut is always the deepest!

Last edited:

XJADDICTION

Banned
For 35's I cut with TJ flares at 6"es of lift no extended bump stops. Now y'all have bush wackers (are those cut out? Also some sweet welded fender options) anyway, I'm sure you can run with some bump stops. That is going to look great! The XJ gets crazy flex with the right coils up front and leaves out back.
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SMOKYMANCE

For 35's I cut with TJ flares at 6"es of lift no extended bump stops. Now y'all have bush wackers (are those cut out? Also some sweet welded fender options) anyway, I'm sure you can run with some bump stops. That is going to look great! The XJ gets crazy flex with the right coils up front and leaves out back.

That jeep has some flex! is it a long arm kit?

Top Bottom