Wheel Sizing and offset

Father Meadow

Hey everyone, I'm looking at some wheels for my 11' JK and I need some help from you guys that understand the spacing and offset ratios better than I. I have decided on 20" wheels with 35/12.50s even though I have heard some wish they stayed with the 18s. My question is: I am planning to run a Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift and I need to know if 20X9 or 20X10 wheels will have enough clearance. I could also get 20X12s but I feel like they would definitely have clearance issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Father of the Meadows

bthomas

4-4.5" offset should be about right for clearance. With that said, if you plan on wheeling your jeep, 35' on 20's won't be a good choice, there's not much sidewall left with a wheel that big. You want to have some sidewall for multiple reasons on the trail, wider footprint when aired down, the tire will be able to conform to the terrain for better traction, and as a bonus, it will ride a lot nicer too! I have no personal experience with 20's on a jeep, but I can't help but think the road ride would be a bit harsh.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heavyhaul07

4-4.5" offset should be about right for clearance. With that said, if you plan on wheeling your jeep, 35' on 20's won't be a good choice, there's not much sidewall left with a wheel that big. You want to have some sidewall for multiple reasons on the trail, wider footprint when aired down, the tire will be able to conform to the terrain for better traction, and as a bonus, it will ride a lot nicer too! I have no personal experience with 20's on a jeep, but I can't help but think the road ride would be a bit harsh.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had 20"s once with 35" on my dodge diesel. Yup won't do it again for the rougher ride. The only reason I got the 20's was I basically got them for free.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Father Meadow

I don't take it in the mud for sure and any wheeling I will be doing will be light. I do trail rides, but I'm not into the break it upgrade it break it again thing. I can get 18s for the same price. The wheels are cheaper and the tires are more expensive so it comes out to be the same price. I was mainly interested in the offset for clearance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't take it in the mud for sure and any wheeling I will be doing will be light. I do trail rides, but I'm not into the break it upgrade it break it again thing. I can get 18s for the same price. The wheels are cheaper and the tires are more expensive so it comes out to be the same price. I was mainly interested in the offset for clearance.

If you look, you'll find that 17" wheels are even more affordable and there are TONS of tires and sizes that are available for them and for a LOT less money. Even for daily driving, 20's are REALLY BIG wheels for just 35" tires. That will leave you with very little sidewall and will give you a harsh ride. Of course, it's you're Jeep and your money and you should do what you want with both.

As mentioned, about 4" to 4.5" of back spacing is what you'll want to be working with.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Take everyone's advice on this. The bigger the wheel, the more expensive the tire. Probably the wheel too for a good brand. Your sidewall & pressure are going to affect ride quality big time. I'd imagine a 35 on a 20 is going to require you to run a higher pressure. They're probably going to ride like wagon wheels.

Sticking to a 17 or 18 is going to give you WAY more options which means prices will be lower due to supply & demand. Also a decent amount of sidewall & the ability to run a lower pressure, so likely a more comfortable ride.

A BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 (very good tire by all accounts) on Discount Tire in 35x12.5x20 is $314, but 35x12.5x17 is $271. Buy 4 and you just saved enough money that your spare is almost free!

And no I don't work for them.

Sent from my duck blind.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Rough country is a stiff riding P.O.S. chinese lift. There are much better options. Heck a budget boost spacer lift is better.

20" wheels are terrible for off-roading. A club member has 20" rock star somethings with hokey plastic inserts that he ripped off on some rocks on a green trail. He's now faced with trying to sell the 20's and convincing his wife he made a huge mistake and now needs 17's and 35's.

If you plan to engage 4x4 at all, I would avoid 20's.

Father Meadow

Ok so you guys have talked me into it. I'm thinking the 18s instead, mainly because I don't want to sacrifice too much ride comfort. I saw a Jeep yesterday running 305/60/18s. It looked pretty tough. What are the advantages of running that size as opposed to a 35/12.50/18?

GAdawg88

Ok so you guys have talked me into it. I'm thinking the 18s instead, mainly because I don't want to sacrifice too much ride comfort. I saw a Jeep yesterday running 305/60/18s. It looked pretty tough. What are the advantages of running that size as opposed to a 35/12.50/18?

The 305/60R18 is the metric rough equivalent of a 33x12.00" tire. It'll measure roughly 32.5" mounted, so the advantages the 35 gives you is the extra inch and a half of clearance under your axles, plus more side wall to flex for a better ride if you run correct pressures. A 35x12.50 will give you a tad bit wider footprint too, which helps you out in soft terrain. The smaller 305/60R18 is lighter, and may give you marginally better fuel mileage, and rob you of less power, but they'll look small and goofy under a lift and leave you desiring something more, trust me I have new 33's and I'm already saving for 35's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heavyhaul07

If you look at even the price difference I. Tires between a 17 and 18 the 17 is a fair amount cheaper.
The 305 is about 32" tall compared to the 35 wich is about 34" tall. So hence a stiff ride with the 305 as it would have a shorter sidewall than the 35 in a 18" wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GAdawg88

Correction on my math, you may get one inch of clearance under the axles with a 35 vs the 305, but running a 305/60 with 18s would be akin to running 35x12.50 with 20's and everyone here has already thrown their .02 in on that.

GAdawg88

Rough country is a stiff riding P.O.S. chinese lift. There are much better options. Heck a budget boost spacer lift is better.

20" wheels are terrible for off-roading. A club member has 20" rock star somethings with hokey plastic inserts that he ripped off on some rocks on a green trail. He's now faced with trying to sell the 20's and convincing his wife he made a huge mistake and now needs 17's and 35's.

If you plan to engage 4x4 at all, I would avoid 20's.
Agree a hunnid percent on the RC sentiments! Had a RC lift on my last rig and it's funny how the springs are stiff as he'll up front, but didn't take 18 months for mine to start sagging and then they felt like mush and the body roll got to be terrible on road.

Top Bottom