Un-used spare...to keep or replace

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Wasnt sure what to really have as a title for this thread, maybe that was the right one.

So I am getting near time to get some new rubber for the jeep, my trail grapplers have around 32k on them, and I was really bad with rotations so one is getting a little low.

The debate I am having with myself, is that my spare only has around 3k on it, so its basically new. Do I order 4 trail grapplers and just keep my spare as a spare or maybe rotate it in once I have new tires, or do I switch and go to a set of 5 coopers?

Thanks Guys :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
I would keep it and just pay for 4. If you are set on a new set of tires, you could go either way. My OCD wouldn't like having a mis-matched spare either, even if it was functional.

Ddays

Hooked
I'd check the costs first - might be surprised. I paid $315 for the 37/13.50/17 Coopers on mine. What does a Trail Grap cost?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
37 X 13.5 X 17 Copper $324.59

37 x 12.5 x 17 Cooper $336.00

37 x 12.5 x 17 Nitto Trail Grap $388.00

Ddays

Hooked
37 X 13.5 X 17 Copper $324.59

37 x 12.5 x 17 Cooper $336.00

37 x 12.5 x 17 Nitto Trail Grap $388.00

IDK, based on that you'd only be out an extra 128 bones getting 5 Coops, but then you'd have a set of 5 tires as cool as Sheaffadelic's! :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
if you go Coopers get all 5, if you stick with Trail make sure the tread pattern matches.

I wouldn't run different tread patterns on the JK - also check the overall diameter on the Grapplers if you get only 4, sometimes they make a change and the difference can cause you differential issues.

I forget what the allowed difference is but I was surprised when I failed to rotate my tires at the normal interval and the tread depth difference with the spare was great enough I couldn't do a 5 tire rotation. If I recall I had gone 9k miles instead of my normal 5k

Top Bottom