VIDEO : CALAMITY JANE - Stripping Down & Patching Up Our Jeep CJ5 Renegade [Part 4]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
VIDEO : CALAMITY JANE - Stripping Down & Patching Up Our Jeep CJ5 Renegade [Part 4]

Over the last 43 years, Jane had been used and abused by several different owners and each of them were kind enough to leave her with, oh, how should I say it, parting gifts? Or, maybe baggage would be a better way of putting it. Of course, before Cindy and I could breath new life into her old iron, we’d have to work hard to first remove as much of her past as possible and do what we could to patch her up and fill in a few of her gaps. In this episode, you'll get to see us sanding her down to the metal, removing more parts, cutting off the stupidity left behind from the previous owner and welding up a plethora of holes. Fortunately, companies like Omix-ADA still make all kinds of authentic Mopar restoration and replacement parts so we don't have to fix everything. We hope you enjoy our presentation.

:cool:

jeeeep

Hooked
I think it's great you taking the time to do better repairs but not a full off restoration. I've always felt with a full off restoration the pieces that make the Jeep usually get tossed to the side and all the character gets lost.

Hats off to you :beer: :beer: :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's great you taking the time to do better repairs but not a full off restoration. I've always felt with a full off restoration the pieces that make the Jeep usually get tossed to the side and all the character gets lost.

Hats off to you :beer: :beer: :beer:

Thank you. We definitely are trying to keep as much of her as possible as opposed to completely changing her into something different.

WJCO

Meme King
Man, you guys have put a ton of time into that project. What grit did you use on that sander? And what kind of sander is it? Looks like it sped up the sanding time for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea how many hours you have in working on Jane Eddie?

Hours? Man, I'm not sure. We got her back in August and we've pretty much worked on her every chance we got until the middle of October.

Man, you guys have put a ton of time into that project. What grit did you use on that sander? And what kind of sander is it? Looks like it sped up the sanding time for sure.

I was using an old dual action orbital sander that I had gotten from Costco maybe 20 years ago and was using 80 grit to knock off the paint. It was slower going with the finer grit but I wasn't sure what I would find below the layers of paint and bondo so I wanted to take my time. The sander did eventually died and I ended up buying a new Porter Cable electric unit to finish things up.

Dang... that is some sanding! Goodness

LOL!! Not so bad when you're only working with a single coat of paint but when you're cutting through 3 layers of it - damn, it took a hell of a lot of time. :crazyeyes:

TCool

Great job cleaning up those tub rails, Eddie. Years of abuse can only be reversed if they are addressed by the right person, otherwise the inevitable is only delayed. As always, you guys do such a fantastic job of making us feel like were right there with you. Can't wait to see Jane out showing off her new body!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great job cleaning up those tub rails, Eddie. Years of abuse can only be reversed if they are addressed by the right person, otherwise the inevitable is only delayed. As always, you guys do such a fantastic job of making us feel like were right there with you. Can't wait to see Jane out showing off her new body!

Thank you, we're so glad that you feel that way about our videos.

You should do a diy body work book. What is that little arrow looking thing sitting on the fenderwell while you were welding?

LOL!! Believe me, there are guys out there who are WAY BETTER at this than me and you'd want to learn from them. I'm just a regular guy having some fun and doing the best that I can. The arrow thing is a magnet and I was using it to hold up a piece of copper. It helps to dissipate the heat when filling in bigger holes.

Very nice work Jane needed some TLC.

Oh yeah, she needed a lot of TLC and will need it for a while.

I love seeing restoration awesome job.

We're glad to hear it :cool:

joose

Fun to watch your video's of Jane's progress from old to new. Bring's back good memories of builds like Jane's I had years ago.:2thumbsup::beer:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm no longer fooled! There's no way that just you and Cindy were able to not only get Jane looking that good but also produce such an awesome video series! What's your secret damn it. :crazyeyes:

Honestly another fantastic video in a great series! Thank you so much for sharing. [emoji1303]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fun to watch your video's of Jane's progress from old to new. Bring's back good memories of builds like Jane's I had years ago.:2thumbsup::beer:

Glad to hear our videos are able to take you back to some good memories :yup:

I'm no longer fooled! There's no way that just you and Cindy were able to not only get Jane looking that good but also produce such an awesome video series! What's your secret damn it. :crazyeyes:

Honestly another fantastic video in a great series! Thank you so much for sharing. [emoji1303]

LOL!! Thanks Ty, we really do appreciate it and we're so glad that you've been enjoying the series :yup:

Very cool and she's looking great!

What a great job you are doing.....really very impresssed!

Thanks guys :cool:

ob_tj

Great video. Love all the body work done. And you gave me an idea to hang my doors in my garage!

Top Bottom