Worn rear hub/wheel bearing??

Devallee

Is this what a worn hub and/or wheel bearing looks like? It makes a clanking/catching sound when driving when the wheel is turning left only (this is the driver side). Not sure if that makes a difference or if I'd have to replace both sides either way. Thanks for any help.

https://youtu.be/bU6u3ByXZZY

WJCO

Meme King
Is this what a worn hub and/or wheel bearing looks like? It makes a clanking/catching sound when driving when the wheel is turning left only (this is the driver side). Not sure if that makes a difference or if I'd have to replace both sides either way. Thanks for any help.

https://youtu.be/bU6u3ByXZZY

Could be an axle bearing, but really sounds more like loose brake hardware to me. Possibly even something in the diff. Pull your ebrake handle and see if that rotor still moves at all. If it still moves with ebrake engaged, something may have fallen out of place. Also a little noise is normal as your power train takes up slack, but that sounds really loud, IMO.

Travv310

Definitely not a bad hub or wheel bearing. Sounds like either your caliper bracket mounting bolts maybe loose or something with your brakes. 120 ft lbs check those and then I'd drain the diff fluid and pull the diff cover off and see if there is anything in there. Have someone turn the shaft and look inside the pumpkin. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Devallee

Could be an axle bearing, but really sounds more like loose brake hardware to me. Possibly even something in the diff. Pull your ebrake handle and see if that rotor still moves at all. If it still moves with ebrake engaged, something may have fallen out of place. Also a little noise is normal as your power train takes up slack, but that sounds really loud, IMO.

Definitely not a bad hub or wheel bearing. Sounds like either your caliper bracket mounting bolts maybe loose or something with your brakes. 120 ft lbs check those and then I'd drain the diff fluid and pull the diff cover off and see if there is anything in there. Have someone turn the shaft and look inside the pumpkin. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I did have those 4 caliper mounting bolts loose but I tightened everything down. Thats what I thought the problem was the first time, but the noise has come back and its even worse now when that clanking noise comes about when the jeep in moving and turning the wheel (left). I didn't have enough sunlight to give everything a thorough look but I'll check all the hardware again in the morning.

WJCO...my e-brake hasn't worked/engaged properly in years but I never use it so I never thought it to be a problem.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Deff not a hub bearing. The jk only has hub bearings in the front.

Honestly it almost looks like it could be something more internal. I would start by taking the rotor off to get a better look at the shaft and brake assemble first. Maybe see if it gets louder when you do or can see something moving.

evilbender

A buddy of mine had a real similar sound coming from his front axle. After we completely tore it apart to only find pristine guts in it, we realized it was the stock driveshaft causing the noise. It had released all its gooey insides and the splines in the middle where slipping over each other.

Top Bottom