Possible 42RLE transmission issue?

Pixel

About the Jeep:
2007 JKU 124,xxx miles original owner. Auto 42RLE - All basic/preventative maintenance was done at or very close to the suggested intervals. The last time I changed the trans fluid and filter was around the 60-65,000 mark (I can look for the exact number I just don't think its 100% relevant).

Problem I am having:
The other day while driving I noticed an odd feeling I never experienced while driving the vehicle (dry air and cold temps). It felt bogged down for a second or two and then would go and then it would do it again every maybe 10-15 feet or so it would feel that way and then it would go away.

Last night while driving on the highway I experienced a similar feeling. The best way to describe it was that every 10-15 feet or so the vehicle felt like it was hitting a 12" patch of ice (it would slip but it felt like it was bogged down or hesitant to change gear) This was only occurring between 40-50 mph (again in dry cold conditions, ground wasn't wet at all) When trying to go over 50mph it felt like I was stuck at a plateau (I didn't try to push past this as I wasn't sure if something was failing). It should be worth noting that both times this happened the vehicle was only on the road for about 15 minutes or so. After driving it around for longer than that I was not able to reproduce the scenario (figures because I was trying to record it)

Today (01/07) I had the Jeep out in the snow today (4 high while driving around and 4 low just to make sure everything worked properly) and it didn't happen once. :idontknow: I checked for any visual transmission fluid leaks and didn't see anything and checked the fluid after I had it out for a little while (once while running once after it was turned off for about 15 mins). Fluid level was where it needed to be between the dots on the Hot side. Color was a light pink without any brown in it and did not smell burnt.

No ESP/ABS lights or anything like that came on. If I missed anything feel free to let me know and I will check it out. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas what could have caused this I am all ears. I experienced all sorts of random gremlins in this thing so nothing surprises me any more. Any help is greatly appreciated.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
No code thrown? I just had mine rebuild. AFTER having two other shops look at it. Turned out it was he torque converter. I did not feel anything odd myself. Maybe you can take it to an auto parts store and have them scan it anyway. I have done that and even though it was not showing a code on the cluster it still showed one on the reader.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Pixel

No code thrown? I just had mine rebuild. AFTER having two other shops look at it. Turned out it was he torque converter. I did not feel anything odd myself. Maybe you can take it to an auto parts store and have them scan it anyway. I have done that and even though it was not showing a code on the cluster it still showed one on the reader.

obd-scan.jpg

Just this one I threw in December for the O2 Sensor. Haven't had the time to swap it out yet. I mean I don't know how in depth this scanner is because it wont read ABS/SRS. It shows a spot for TCM but nothing is coming up for it so it either isn't present or that feature isn't available I guess.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
A bad o2 sensor could give you a 'fishbite' misfire like that although sensor 2 is downstream. I'd replace that sensor and if your scanner has a misfire counter or mode6 you can see if that's it.

Pixel

My guess is (and I am hoping) it isn't transmission related and its a bad sensor somewhere. It seems too sporadic to be a mechanical issue. Will try to log some data on it tomorrow if this snow ever stops. Perhaps MAP/TPS sensor could cause this? I will check the voltages on it tomorrow.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My guess is (and I am hoping) it isn't transmission related and its a bad sensor somewhere. It seems too sporadic to be a mechanical issue. Will try to log some data on it tomorrow if this snow ever stops. Perhaps MAP/TPS sensor could cause this? I will check the voltages on it tomorrow.
I hope for you too.

Pixel

Drove the vehicle around today and while logging some data threw a P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire so that would explain a little more why it was driving like that. Going to check the plugs and wires in the morning hopefully it's nothing more than that...fingers crossed. Last changed them at 80,xxx.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Drove the vehicle around today and while logging some data threw a P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire so that would explain a little more why it was driving like that. Going to check the plugs and wires in the morning hopefully it's nothing more than that...fingers crossed. Last changed them at 80,xxx.

Honestly, you got 50K out of em, just replace em with pregapped Champions. Still check the gaps though, I had one that was a hair out of spec.

Sent from my duck blind.

Pixel

Definitely replacing them im just going to check tomorrow to make sure that's my only problem. I'm hoping it's that simple and no problems with that cylinder or valve issues. Starting with the most obvious stuff first.

Pixel

UPDATE: Found a little time yesterday to do some testing on the vehicle and replace some parts. Looks like the #4 wire got a little burnt up near the exhaust manifold/heat shield and took the coil with it.

Compression tested all the cylinders and all the numbers were extremely close. Hardly any variance which I was happy to see.

Replaced the the coil pack, plugs and wires with the Performance Distributors Screamin' Demon coil with the LiveWires wires and Autolite Platinums gapped to .65 like they spec'd.

Also replaced both of the O2 sensors behind the cat (bank 2 sensor 2 was bad) figured replacing them as a pair would be best.

Thanks too all those who chimed in or messaged me luckily it was just something minor.

Top Bottom